Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
My PC (laptop) hp pavilion sleekbook 14 (not touch screen) windows 8 had been saying "diagnosing your PC" then" preparing automatic repair" I've had this problem for like a month and I thought it would go away but it hasn't someone PLEASE HELP!! And do I have to get a new one or go get it checked??
26 REPLIES 26
HP Recommended

Hello Mariael,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand the computer is in a "preparing automatic repair" loop. This indicates that there is a corrupt file on the computer. You can only fix the issue by performing a system recovery, which will unfortunately erase your data. This YouTube video can show you how to do it: Preparing Automatic Repair on Windows 8-Fixed

Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended
Yes it worked wonderfully thank you so much
HP Recommended

I'm glad this worked for you! Since it resolved the issue, could you mark my post with an Accepted Solution and Kudos? It would be greatly appreciated and help others in the future!

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Thanks!

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended
Hello
I looked at your video and it didn't work....the screen that was suppose pop up didn't
HP Recommended
Hello Supermario, my 7 yr old son LOVES The Mario bros. Well I am having the same issue with Preparing Automatic Repair but it is on my desktop. I could REALLY use your help with this please. I will be starting school soon and need my computer. PLEASE HELP 😔
HP Recommended
Heey my hp pavilion touch screen laptop crashed so I had to turn it off using the power button, when it came back on the screen showed the hp sing and it said prepearing automatic repair then the screen go's black then it show the hp sign and the loading symbol then does it all again I think it is stuck in a loop what should I do?
HP Recommended
Unfortunately, there happens to be no back up or anything. I tried to do system recovery, but the failed as well. I happened to be saving a file before I turn my computer to Sleep, so I think that might be the cause for that. I also really need this computer for a piece of school work coming up! I got told to leave it running for a while and that should work, but I left it on for about almost 6 hours today! Computer is, HP Envy with 16 GB RAM Radeon Graphics. With 1TB Harddrive.
HP Recommended
Hi, I am having the same problem but it doesn't work. I extremely upset also because I had just got this laptop last not and not even 24 hours later, it's already messing up. I'm wither going to go back to the store and get something else or I need the fixed ASAP
HP Recommended
How long does it take for an automatic system recovery?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.