Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have an ENVY 17 laptop that fails to boot.  The screen is black, although I hear the fan and disk drive.   No display action whatsoever -- no setup message, no logo.   I've attempted the following: 

- connected an external monitor to verify the monitor is not bad.

- reset each of the memory chips

- taken the striped drives out and tested them separately -- each good

- attempted the system reset by holding down the power button for 15 seconds

Nothing positive in all that.  It looks like the mother board might need replacing.  Can I do this?

Thanks,

dgp

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@dgplugge wrote:

If the disk drives are out and the Ultimate Boot USB shows no sign of life, I can image that it is the motherboard. I've eliminated the monitor using an external monitor. I've eliminated the chance of a bad memory chip by attempting to boot with only one. Of course, both chips may be bad. Is the replacement of the motherboard doable at home?

Looks like something on the mtb (perhaps vga) is faulty. If the vga doesn't work any external monitor won't work anyway. My guess is a bad vga. The only thing you can do is to replace the mtb. How old is the lappy?

Asus ROG STRIX G16 Manjaro Xfce
HP Touchpad provided by HP
HP Microserver Gen8 10TB Debian Server

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Your system reset does not quite have the effect as a hard reset.

Try a hard reset as follows:

1) Remove the battery and unplug the DC power adapter.
2) Press and hold the power button for more than fifteen seconds.
3) Plug in the DC power adapter (leave the battery out for now)
4) Press the power button

Please post your positive or negative results here in your thread.

Did you make make a Windows repair disk?

Best regards,

erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

@dgplugge wrote:

I have an ENVY 17 laptop that fails to boot.  The screen is black, although I hear the fan and disk drive.   No display action whatsoever -- no setup message, no logo.   I've attempted the following: 

- connected an external monitor to verify the monitor is not bad.

- reset each of the memory chips

- taken the striped drives out and tested them separately -- each good

- attempted the system reset by holding down the power button for 15 seconds

Nothing positive in all that.  It looks like the mother board might need replacing.  Can I do this?

Thanks,

dgp

Hi,

Remove the hard drive and boot up the laptop. If you can get to the BIOS, the MBR on the hard drive is most likely damaged and prevents the POST finish the test.

The black screen means that some component in the system has failed and the POST can't carry on. I had the same issue with my hard drive but it could be any component like vga, memory modules, etc..

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
HP Recommended
erico,

Pardon, but I did the hard reset you mentioned, not the soft reset. Nothing changed -- black screen.

dgp
HP Recommended
Yes, I did remove the disks and attached them to another working system via USB. Being that the two disks are needed together (striped), I was only able to check that they were available. I did not attempt to boot the system without the disks, so I'll give that a try. I was thinking of booting from a USB thumb drive using Ultimate Boot.
HP Recommended

If the disk drives are out and the Ultimate Boot USB shows no sign of life, I can image that it is the motherboard. I've eliminated the monitor using an external monitor. I've eliminated the chance of a bad memory chip by attempting to boot with only one. Of course, both chips may be bad. Is the replacement of the motherboard doable at home?
HP Recommended

@dgplugge wrote:

Looks like something on the mtb (perhaps vga) is faulty. If the vga doesn't work any external monitor won't work anyway. My guess is a bad vga. The only thing you can do is to replace the mtb. How old is the lappy?

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Do check that all of basic BIOS checks are connected...

In my case the RAM wasn't seated properly ... Why it should decide to unseat itself is a mystery - Possible oxidation of the ontacts ?? Who knows but reseating them was sufficient to get a working system !!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.