Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP elitebook 8560w
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Dear all,

I have a problem with my cooling fan. Some time ago I got the 90B error, and after opening the laptop I discovered the fan wasn't spinning properly (My warranty is already expired). I ordered a replacement heat sink and fan online, and yesterday I replaced the old one. Unfortunately I still got the error and the fan still didn't spin. I went ahead and did some more research.

I hooked up both old and new fans to a 5V DC source. Conclusion: the old fan indeed didn't work but the new fan DOES work. Also I made sure the connector of the fan is connected properly. This leads me to my question to you guys, what could be the cause of my fan not spinning properly?

To briefly summarize everything:

- Fan doesn't spin

- The fan that is currently build in DOES work when hooked up to an external 5V source

- Fan is connected properly

- Looking for the cause of the problem and a way to fix it (hopefully without buying a new motherboard )

I hope someone can help me!

Kind regards,

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

By now I have fixed this problem myself. After a lot of research I discovered this error can be caused by several problems:

- Something is obstructing the fan from rotating properly 

- The fan itself is broken

- The connector of the fan to the motherboard is broken

For me, the last one was the case. I fixed this by disassembling the laptop and rewiring the fan such that it is powered by my disc drive. It is not a convenient solution as my fan always spins at maximum power now, but it does the job.

I hope this post is useful to someone.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

The only thing I know is that it is a Mechanical breakdown, nothing with hardware or software issues

-Hope I helped-

-Kudos-

HP Recommended

By now I have fixed this problem myself. After a lot of research I discovered this error can be caused by several problems:

- Something is obstructing the fan from rotating properly 

- The fan itself is broken

- The connector of the fan to the motherboard is broken

For me, the last one was the case. I fixed this by disassembling the laptop and rewiring the fan such that it is powered by my disc drive. It is not a convenient solution as my fan always spins at maximum power now, but it does the job.

I hope this post is useful to someone.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.