Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I really do not want to buy a new hard drive, my one year old hp pavilion g6's hard drive has already failed it is now funny windows 8. Everytime I start my laptop up it gives me an urgent message saying: "Hard drive faliure/error, back up computer immediatly and replace hard drive. It seems every laptop I have ever bought only lasts a year, I don't do any file changing or anything like that. My children have a few sims 3 games on the laptop and I took my laptop into pc world to see if they were slowing it down or gong to ruin the laptop but the employee assured me that nothing was going to happen to it. And now this has come along, im not really at a time where I can splash a lot of cash on a new laptop. Is it worth just going to get an apple mac as they guarantee a longer computer life and would cost less in the long run? Please help, can you find me a cheap solution to this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Mine lasted 8 months before getting the hard disk failure imanent. And the laptop gets so hot it could give you 2nd degree burns. I am on a fixed income and could not really afford the computer to begin with then to have it fail after only  minimal  use. I tryed to contact h.p. never got a reply or nothing, and by the looks of it online it is happened to a lot of people. I was vary loyal to a brand once I use and like a product but I dont see myself ever bying a H.P. product again. And im sure il go through at least 15 more laptops in my life time!!

Seems like there should have been a recall on them, the venting system is way under designed.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@Matthewconstanc wrote:

I really do not want to buy a new hard drive, my one year old hp pavilion g6's hard drive has already failed it is now funny windows 8. Everytime I start my laptop up it gives me an urgent message saying: "Hard drive faliure/error, back up computer immediatly and replace hard drive. It seems every laptop I have ever bought only lasts a year, I don't do any file changing or anything like that. My children have a few sims 3 games on the laptop and I took my laptop into pc world to see if they were slowing it down or gong to ruin the laptop but the employee assured me that nothing was going to happen to it. And now this has come along, im not really at a time where I can splash a lot of cash on a new laptop. Is it worth just going to get an apple mac as they guarantee a longer computer life and would cost less in the long run? Please help, can you find me a cheap solution to this problem?

Hi,

You could buy a HP Care Pack. Have a look here:

http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/support-drivers/carepack/hp-carepack.html

Extended 2 year warranty costs only £37 (PC World in the UK??). They should replace the hard drive for a new one. I have done it myself but it was still under the original one. I have called the HP Customer Support, described the problem and they sent a new hard drive. The old one had to be sent back in the same package.

Asus ROG STRIX G16 Manjaro Xfce
HP Touchpad provided by HP
HP Microserver Gen8 10TB Debian Server

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
HP Recommended

was your laptop warranty over when you had the problem?

did they just send you a free hard disk?

HP Recommended

Mine lasted 8 months before getting the hard disk failure imanent. And the laptop gets so hot it could give you 2nd degree burns. I am on a fixed income and could not really afford the computer to begin with then to have it fail after only  minimal  use. I tryed to contact h.p. never got a reply or nothing, and by the looks of it online it is happened to a lot of people. I was vary loyal to a brand once I use and like a product but I dont see myself ever bying a H.P. product again. And im sure il go through at least 15 more laptops in my life time!!

Seems like there should have been a recall on them, the venting system is way under designed.

HP Recommended

@BangEmBeatZ- Exactly the same happened to me, my hard drive conked out on me rendering my HP Pavillion laptop useless. 

Did you try contacting them on the phone? I did this and my matter was sorted straight away. Just be prepared to follow several instructions (even to the point of unscrewing the casing to check the hard drive cables aren't loose!!!) 

They're now sending me a replacement hard drive and instillation/ recovery disks to get it up and running again, overall very pleased (just dont email them, I've read many times that you could be waiting a loooooonnnngggg time before they respond to you.

HP Recommended

@BangEmBeatZ wrote:

Hi,

Quite a lot of overheating problems are caused by software and not hardware. The thing is that you may have a Toshiba or Lenovo laptop and still got the same overheating because there is a conflict between a hardware driver and the Operating System. They use the same or similar motherboards and other components like CPUs, memory modules, hard drives etc. Overheating could damage components on the motherboard and should be fixed ASAP. If the hard drive is dead it was most likely a software problem. The conflict probably caused that some OS processes constantly ran which caused CPU working at 100% all the time which produced a lot of heat that couldn't be cooled by the vent, plotters in the hard drive never stopped etc...

I have had that myself after a Windows update but sorted it soon after.:)

Asus ROG STRIX G16 Manjaro Xfce
HP Touchpad provided by HP
HP Microserver Gen8 10TB Debian Server

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
HP Recommended

Disappointing to hear this is a known problem with no notification sent to the users.  Bad for customer relations, a direct undo of good will built by their excellent customer support... 

HP Recommended

I bought THREE HP Pavilion Lap tops for my family for Christmas----and ALL THREE had failed Hard Drives.  I actually had two of them in the tech shop at Best Buy at the same time.  One of the three was irrepairable, so kicking in a little money it was replaced at Best Buy and is the G6 HP Pavillion that I will now talk about.

The computer that I replaced the third lap top with is a HP Pavilion G6 Series.  Purchased it on August 18, 2012.  HARD DRIVE Failure, in the shop March 18, 2013.

#2 HARD DRIVE Failure December 8, 2013 - took it back to Best Buy. Now one year warranty - out of warranty.  They said that they would replaced the Hard Drive as it said it was the hard drive on the diagnostics of the computer.  Well versed by now with failures of hard drives this was number 4.

Get a call the next day by Best Buy---told it is not the Hard Drive, it is the mother board----told the diagnostic tool in HP not real realiable.  They tell me pretty much to toss the lap top---buy a new one.

I pick up the HP Laptop from Best Buy----open it to see the hard drive, as I really do not believe Best Buy at this point.  The REPLACEMENT hard drive that Best Buy put in my computer  when it originally went bad on March 18, 2013 was a TOSHIBA Hard Drive.

I call Toshiba....no warranty on the nine month hard drive---why...I believe because the TOSHIBA was put in an HP product and not a Toshiba product.  HP---not their problem this has to do with where I bought it at which was BEST BUY. 

BUYER BEWARE of the WARRANTY specs on your product.  They can use replacement parts (where you have it purchased, i.e. Best Buy when you get warranty work done)  that are not genuine parts for the computer.  HP told me this----

I will NEVER buy another HP product.

HP Recommended

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I ended up buying an acer aspire which will do the job. I am never buying a laptop from hp again. The g6 just seems to be a complete **bleep**-up because  the WHOLE screen fell apart when a tiny screw went missing. A completely crap design and computer. 

HP Recommended

Toshiba is HP's original hard drive installed in their laptops.  I don't think they make hard drives.  In any case, the laptop has a short life.  Too much $$$ for a short lived throw away.  Replaced with new Samsung PC and tablet.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.