Question

Top Student
bigpapabearxx
Message 1 of 4 (119 Views)

GT 650m problems

[ Edited ]

So the whole problem is that it cuts out.  The screen flashes and switches to integrated graphics.  I think the card is on its last leg.  Is there something in the bios that i can change?  Im on Windows 7 64bit.  It is a dv6t-7000.  I bought it in June of 2012.  No warrenty.  It started happening 3 days ago.  I was using driver 320.49 and then went back to 306.14.  That did not work.  Sense i most likley have to replace the card/motherboard, would it be better for me to buy a new computer because I dont have warrenty on it?  I have heard that the card is built into the motherboard so it would be almost impossible for me to do it.

Top Student
bigpapabearxx
Message 2 of 4 (93 Views)

Re: GT 650m problems

Please help

Distinguished Professor
AxshunJaxun
Message 3 of 4 (69 Views)

Hey bigpapabearxx, 

I'm sorry you're running into this display issue. First I need to know exactly which dv6t-7000 you have. Let me know your product number. You'll find it by pressing the FN + ESC keys or by looking at the bottom at the HP label (could be inside the battery compartment). Look for 'P/N'. 

I'll also need your BIOS version number which you can find on the same FN + ESC screen. Look for 'F. ##' and let me know what that is.

Double-check your graphics version number in Device Manager (Device Manager > Display Adapters > Nvidia > Driver tab) and let me know what version number is shown there. 

I'll make every suggestion I can to hopefully avoid having to replace the motherboard or buy a new computer. 

The trigger that initiates the switch between GPUs is the power state of the computer (whether the charger is plugged in or not). Check to see if your charger fits snugly into the computer. There's a light next to where the charger plugs into the computer. Anytime the charge is plugged in to the computer and into a working outlet, that light should be a solid white (usually white). See if moving the charger around may cause the light to turn orange or to flicker. You may have a shortage in the cord, causing the GPUs to switch, while you believe it is plugged in the whole time. That's a crazy idea, maybe, but worth a look.

Distinguished Professor
AxshunJaxun
Message 4 of 4 (50 Views)

Are you still having the same issue?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation