Question

Honor Student
Eyeball888
Message 1 of 4 (1,068 Views)

HP 4530s RAM types and upgrades

l have just bought a HP ProBook  4530s, and l would like add an extra 4gb of ram to it, but have been told that ram should be added in like pairs, ie from the same manufacturer, speed etc. Has anyone already done theirs and have you managed to find a matching stick for the original one in the 4530s, or did you have to buy two new pairs of matching ram and remove the original one.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 4 (1,065 Views)

Re: HP 4530s RAM types and upgrades

[ Edited ]

Hi:

In my opinion that is a waste of money.

If you already have a 4 GB memory chip in your PC, just purchase another 4 GB module with matching specs.

For example, the standard memory in your PC is PC3-1333 (10600) memory.

Just get another 4 GB PC3-1333 module.

I have never, ever, had an issue mixing brands of memory as long as they were quality chips with matching specs, in any desktop or notebook I have or ever had.

Now, if you have to replace a module to max out the memory, then by all means, purchase two of the same brand.

Here are some of my recommendations for you...Crucial, Kingston, G Skill, Patriot.

You should be able to get a 4 GB PC3-10600) module of one of those brands for less than $25.00.

Make absolutely sure you do not get a PC3-10666 module.

If you see some memory you are interested in purchasing, post a link and I will tell you what I think of it, if you want.

Paul

Honor Student
Eyeball888
Message 3 of 4 (1,060 Views)

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your informative feed back, l thought that the ram had to be 100% matching, but l guess that is not the case now. Once again thank you for your help.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 4 (1,056 Views)

You're very welcome.

Maybe in the real old days that made sense--brand, part number, etc, but not today.

You will be fine, and I don't want to see you spend your money unnecessarily.

You do want 100% matching specs, which if you get PC3-10600 memory, you will have it match the chip currently in your PC.

Best Regards,

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation