Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have HP 540 notebook with Windows XP, 1GB Ram. I want to know

1. Can I upgrade it with 2GB DDR2 RAM in one slot and 512MB(existing RAM) in second slot .. will it support

2. What Graphic Card I can upgrade to play Games.?

Regards, Durgesh

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

1. The existing RAM could be in slot 0, you need to move it out to slot 1 and use slot 0 for 2Gb. RAM is very cheap now, why not istall 4Gb. Your may run 32 bit OS but to utilize dual channels, use 2 x 2Gb is the way to go:

http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/HP+-+Compaq-memory/HP+Business+Notebooks/HP+540+%28Intel+GME965%29-up...

2. No, you have to live with the existing video card, you can not upgrade it. If you wish to play games, please try one of these:

http://computers.toptenreviews.com/gaming-laptops/

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi

I have HP 540  with two slots for RAM. One came pre filled with 1 GB RAM. Now thinking of upgrading it by using 

2 GB in the other slot. Just wanted to confirm if different configurations can be used simultaneously ( like 1 gb with 2 gb)

or it needs to be same.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi,

It's ok to install 3Gb of RAM on your machine. HP sells many machines with 3GB too.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Can we upgrade our RAM with 2Gb in one slot and 4GB in the other...?

Thanks,

Suraj

HP Recommended

give me the ans the same query.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.