Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I want to change the HDD of my HP Compaq nx6325 (SATA) / XP SP3 (atapi.sys installed) from the original 100 GB to an actual 500GB/8SSD Seagate SATA.

What do I have to regard: Bios HDD Translation mode Bit-shift or LBA-Assisted? BIOS-DMA transmission ON or OFF?

Other settings I have to respect?

BIOS Rom-Version is F.07

Thanks a lot for assistance,

Al

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

BIOS DMA only affects data transfer from the hard drive while in the BIOS so it does not matter but you might as well enable BIOS DMA transfer. For the HDD translation mode I would set LBA-assisted. Since it is a SATA hard drive LBA should not apply but that is the AMD model and I do believe that the SATA port may actually be an EIDE interfact masquerading as SATA, as with the dv6000 type series with AMD processors. However, the specs say it is a SATA-150 interface. You should have absolutely no troubles with the 500 gig hybrid drive. Are you going to stick with Windows XP? 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

BIOS DMA only affects data transfer from the hard drive while in the BIOS so it does not matter but you might as well enable BIOS DMA transfer. For the HDD translation mode I would set LBA-assisted. Since it is a SATA hard drive LBA should not apply but that is the AMD model and I do believe that the SATA port may actually be an EIDE interfact masquerading as SATA, as with the dv6000 type series with AMD processors. However, the specs say it is a SATA-150 interface. You should have absolutely no troubles with the 500 gig hybrid drive. Are you going to stick with Windows XP? 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

I want to hold my nx6325 because of 4:3 screenratio. My update-strategy: 1. 4GB RAM (done) 2. USB3 card / Expresscard (done, works great) 3. HDD as mentioned, transfer of old HDD/ XP/ personal data with cloning by Acronis (never change a running s...) 4. Update to Win7, if the first steps will be ok

step 3: Thank you Huffer for the good hints specially concerning use of 500gigHDD! Answer of official HP-Support was PC will work only till 100gig... but may be they only reports old standard data cause old PC...

Its really a SATA-150. Actual BIOS setting HDD-Translating mode (100GB-HDD) is Bit-shift. Never had trouble. Most forum-suggestions are setting LBA, as yours. But I read sometimes that with LBA the PC will not recognize the HDD, therefore I'm affraid to try the new HDD while starting the system with the boot-cd of Acronis. Its possible to reset the BIOS while booting?

HP Recommended

ps:  Meanwhile I tryed LBA and PC does not found the old HDD while booting. After reset of Bit-shift all is as before...

HP Recommended

Are you trying LBA with the new drive or the old drive? 

HP Recommended

I  tryied with the old one. That is the original 100GB. Should I set LBA for the new hybrid drive?

HP Recommended

HDD change done, short Report: try without fear ;-). Build in of new Seagate hybrid, fits perfect. Boot with Acronis Boot CD. New HDD seen, setting as Huffer suggests: LBA! Restore from Image. All works well. Thanks, Huffer

ps: next step. Update to W7...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.