Question

Tutor
Davidpne
Message 1 of 10 (124 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Envy j161ea

I want to get a SSD for this Laptop. However, I have hit a brick wall. who would of thought it be so hard to find out the basics for a Laptop. HP seem more secretive than a Government Agency. All I need to know how do I find out if this Laptop will take a Sata 3 SSD,  atm it has a Sata 1TB HD, with a slot for a Second Drive.

The Laptop is a HP ENVY 17 Leap Motion SE NB PC Intel (R) Core(TM) 17-47-2MQ CPU @2.20Ghz

Product F1D50EA#ABU

Any help is appreciated. No point getting a Sata 3 SSD if it won't work. Seems most SSD's are now SATA 3.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 10 (110 Views)

Re: HP Envy j161ea

Hi:

The drive controller your current hard drive is connected to is capable of running a SATA III hard drive at the full transfer speed.

Starting with the Mobile Intel Series 6 chipsets, the SATA controllers connected to the HDD are all SATA III.

Specs from Intel on your notebook's chipset...

http://ark.intel.com/products/75528/Intel-DH82HM87-PCH

Look under I/O Specifications.

Tutor
Davidpne
Message 3 of 10 (102 Views)

Cheers. If I put the OS on the SSD, would it try installing it on the LArger Standard Drive? I read someone had that issue with an older Laptop.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 10 (97 Views)

Hi:

In order to use the recovery media you create from the original hard drive, in order to use it on a SSD, you would have to get a SSD of the same storage capacity as the original drive, which usually is very expensive to do.

I do not have any experience with how to clone or install operating systems on SSD's other than to use OEM installation disks.

Tutor
Davidpne
Message 5 of 10 (95 Views)

I know how to do Clones etc, but I need to be 100% sure that once I put the Clone in, it will Run Windows and not just picking up the Larger drive without windows on. I read that its no longer cable select, so boot up from the first hard drive. I maybe over researching, because I would of thought that Bios would of let you select which drive to boot from.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 6 of 10 (93 Views)

The notebook should boot from the windows drive in the primary hard drive bay.

Tutor
Davidpne
Message 7 of 10 (65 Views)

Guess what after 48 hours of Fighting I given up, it WON'T boot from a SSD, no matter if its in the Slot 1 or 2. Because Bios finds it in the basic Chesk Disk, but refuses to use it as a bootable Drive. I have the Latest Bios, although I beginning to wonder, because only optios I get are Check Memory, Check Disk, Language and Exit. What sort of Bios is that? really annoyed, its 4.30 in the morning I been up since 6am yeasterday on this and I can't beleave just how bad HP support is.  I really started to hate HP with a Passion, I was seriously conned with this Laptop.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 8 of 10 (60 Views)

Sorry to read that you can't boot from the SSD.

What happens if you don't have the second drive connected?

Will it boot from the SSD then?

Did you try a clean install of Windows vice cloning the operating system to the SSD?

Tutor
Davidpne
Message 9 of 10 (51 Views)

It won't boot full stop, even with just the HD, Spoke to PC World and they've taken the Laptop back in, Turns out my Laptop was slow due to lack of RAM, Sold as 12GB, only had 4GB, DVD Rom failed, Noisy fan and many more issues. PC world said they never seen anything like it. They even checked it to see if it been dropped or anything, which it hasn't. 6 weeks old and it was dying fast. PC world think that this Envy has to seperate RAM slots, one next to HD and one under the Keyboard. They think the one under the Keyboard has a 8GB in it, but has malfunctioned. I can't see why you would have 2 seperate places for RAM, just weird. They also can't get the Wireless to go over 15mbps download, even though it has a upload of 25mbps. So many faults with one little device. I must of been very unlucky. my GF has a HP Pavilion G6 Touchscreen and it has never  had an issue (touch Wood), Fast Wifi, etc. So its not the norm for HP devices. They couldn't understand why HP wouldn't take it in for repair, when its clear over the phone support was not going to fix the many issues.  Either way I can't wait to get it back fixed and working to the standard it should be or a replcaement in the next few weeks.

Cheers for the Help, I will keep you informed on its repair progress.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 10 of 10 (46 Views)

Wow.

That sure sounds like that particular notebook has some issues!

There are some HP notebooks with wierd memory layouts like that.

All the HP business notebooks I have ever owned have one slot under the keyboard, and the other is on the bottom in a compartment.

A semi-PITA to get that keyboard off on some models.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation