Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP-G60-635DX
Other

I needed to take this notebook apart to clean out the fan.  I figured since I was already taking it down to the motherboard to clean it I would upgrade the processor.  

The original cpu was a Intel T4300 and I chose an Intel T9600 to upgrade.  I found this cpu information in the Hardware maintenance manual.  The computer starts and the fan runs and everything seems to work, but the monitor is black and I can't access the bios.  I'm not sure about the cpu power difference, could it need a larger power supply?  I have the latest (and only one listed) bios upgrade for the board.  Any suggestions?  Will this cpu work with this motherboard/notebook?

I also tried resetting the cmos by unplugging it for a few minutes, this didn't help. I tried plugging it in to my tv with hdmi in case the monitor was the issue, this didn't work either.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It is the only G60 Manual out there, I am afraid. The problem is not the voltage or anything else it is the extra circuitry found in the Core 2 Duo processors. The less expensive Celeron and Pentium Dual processors do not have advanced stepping features and other things the premium C2D processors have. The 940 chipset is cheaper and allows the assembly of less expensive machines. Run Sysoft Sandra or CPU-Z to confirm that you have the 940 chipset and not the 945. If you look at that link I gave you some people are getting C2D CPUs working on 940 motherboards and laptops but HP does not seem to support that. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

You found the Manual but here it is again:

Manual

Your laptop has the GL40 chipset which supports the Celeron and Pentium processors only not the Core 2 Duo.

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel_%28chipsets%29/GL40_Express.html

HP Recommended

Ok, I guess I have to take it apart again.  I was doing some more research after reading your reply.  Could it be mostly related to the fsb speed difference?  The Pentium T4300 has a fsb of 800 MHz and the T9600 has a fsb of 1066 MHz. 

The TDP is the same for both cpus (35 Watt), so it should not overheat.  I read something that said the T9500 would work (It has a fsb of 800 MHz), but has a higher operating frequency (T4300 2.1 GHz T9500 2.6 GHz) .

The maintenance manual you listed is the same one that I used.  It doesn't even list my Pentium T4300 in the cpu list, so I don't know how much faith I put in that as a reference.

HP Recommended

It is the only G60 Manual out there, I am afraid. The problem is not the voltage or anything else it is the extra circuitry found in the Core 2 Duo processors. The less expensive Celeron and Pentium Dual processors do not have advanced stepping features and other things the premium C2D processors have. The 940 chipset is cheaper and allows the assembly of less expensive machines. Run Sysoft Sandra or CPU-Z to confirm that you have the 940 chipset and not the 945. If you look at that link I gave you some people are getting C2D CPUs working on 940 motherboards and laptops but HP does not seem to support that. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the info.  I'm sorry it took me awhile to respond.  I needed to re-install the OS on the notebook before I could use it again (I was also replacing the hdd at the same time as the cpu upgrade).  

The HP G60-635DX is working again with the old Pentium T4300.  

I don't see the info about the specific chipset version that you mentioned, just that it is a GL40 chipset.  

I might just give up on trying to upgrade if I can't use a core 2 duo.  I don't think there is a better Pentium or Celeron processor for this model.  I am still curious if some of the core 2 duos that have a front side bus of 800 MHz would work though.  I probably won't try it though if you think it would not work because of the differences in cpu circuitry.

It wasn't a total failure, at least I got the dust cleaned out and new thermal paste on the old Pentium cpu  🙂

THE INFO
I ran CPU Z and this is the chipset output:

Chipset
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Northbridge Intel GL40 rev. 09
Southbridge Intel 82801IM (ICH9-M) rev. 03
Memory Type DDR2
Memory Size 4 GBytes
Channels Dual, (Asymmetric)
Memory Frequency 332.5 MHz (3:5)
CAS# latency (CL) 5.0
RAS# to CAS# delay (tRCD) 5
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 5
Cycle Time (tRAS) 15
MCHBAR I/O Base address 0x0FED10000
MCHBAR I/O Size 4096
MCHBAR registers

This is the current processor that is functional with the notebook:

Processor 1 ID = 0
Number of cores 2 (max 2)
Number of threads 2 (max 2)
Name Intel Pentium T4300
Codename Penryn
Specification Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4300 @ 2.10GHz
Package (platform ID) Socket P (478) (0x7)
CPUID 6.7.A
Extended CPUID 6.17
Core Stepping R0
Technology 45 nm
Core Speed 1196.9 MHz
Multiplier x Bus Speed 6.0 x 199.5 MHz
Rated Bus speed 798.0 MHz
Stock frequency 2100 MHz
Instructions sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, EM64T
L1 Data cache 2 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L1 Instruction cache 2 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L2 cache 1024 KBytes, 4-way set associative, 64-byte line size
FID/VID Control yes
FID range 6.0x - 10.5x
Max VID 1.150 V

BIOS/Board info:

DMI BIOS
vendor Hewlett-Packard
version F.65
date 12/15/2010
ROM size 2048 KB

DMI System Information
manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
product HP G60 Notebook PC
version 048E130002200C10000020000
serial **********
UUID {*******-****-****-****-************}
SKU WA574UA#ABA
family 103C_5335KV

DMI Baseboard
vendor Hewlett-Packard
model 3612
revision 09.67
serial **********

HP Recommended

Although this is an old message thread posting, I thought I'd share my upgrade story.

I have a HP G60-430ca model with the same slow T4300 cpu....

I ordered a Intel Core 2 Duo T9500 CPU 2.6ghz/6mb l2 cache.....I can without a doubt say this laptop is now usable..prior to all the upgrades I would need to let the laptop sit for close to 5minutes for everything to settle down after booting into Windows 7!

It has breathed much life back into this machine...while at it I updated the OS to Windows 10 pro and also I upgraded the ram to 4GB...and I removed the internal 320GB 5400 RPM seagate drive it came with and threw in a 512GB Samsung Evo Pro SSD (yah I know I could have used that in one of my more modern machines...but I wanted it in this machine) ....this machine from power on to login take 17 seconds...

and at 20 seconds I'm able to launch browsers and have zero stuttering or hesitation waiting for apps to load....I opened up both IE and Firebox and had in excess of 20 browser tabs open along with youtube playing and this laptop managed to hold its own with these upgrades!

now alot of the windows hardware information programs I've used also show that the max. possible ram is 8GB but official sources like HP and ram upgrade sites like kingston and crucial also just show 4GB....but I'll take the gamble and get and try two 4GB modules for a total of 8GB and post back how that goes... some of the higher capacity modules werent being manufactured back when this device came out so that is why I think they may say officially only 4GB. well time will tell ..i'll know soon enough.

cheers!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.