Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

HP G72 - B66US Notebook

Windows 7-64 bit

I am trying to upgrade the RAM (memory) on my notebook.  Currently it has 4 GB and I would like to upgrade to 8 GB.  I found the part number, however it said that it only applies to models 1.1 and 1.2.

I am not sure what the models are related to and how to find them out for my notebook.  Can someone explain to me what the model numbers are referring to in terms of RAM?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

There are only 2 slots so to have 6 gigs you toss one of the 2 gigs and replace it with a 4. Keep in mind you will only have "dual channel" operation of the 2 memory modules are the same. Dual channel lets the memory run 8-10% faster. 4 gigs running in dual channel might actually be faster than 6 gigs of mixed modules in other words. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

You have to do a little detective work and cross-reference in the Manual but based on your processor (i3-370M), which is used on all models and the specs which say you have the Intel HD graphics (aka UMA) you have Model 1.2 because only Model 1.2 can use that combination of features. Only Models 1.1 and 1.2 can support 2 x 4 gigs of RAM. It is DDR3-1333 SO-DIMM but downclocks to 1066 speed. 

It appears you already have the Service Manual but just in case here it is:

Manual

Bottom line, you can upgrade to 8 gigs but will have to toss the 2 x 2 gig modules that came with the system. And you do not have to use the HP parts. This will work:

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/memory/ct2k4g3s1339m

Memory has spiked up in price in recent months so this is not a good time to buy memory.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for the explanation.  Two more questions regarding the amount of RAM that I can install.  If I want to install 8 GB am I then required to buy two 4 GB modules as I have to get rid of the 2 x 2 gig modules that came with the system?    

If I install 6 GB am I then required to buy three separate 2 GB modules?

HP Recommended

There are only 2 slots so to have 6 gigs you toss one of the 2 gigs and replace it with a 4. Keep in mind you will only have "dual channel" operation of the 2 memory modules are the same. Dual channel lets the memory run 8-10% faster. 4 gigs running in dual channel might actually be faster than 6 gigs of mixed modules in other words. 

HP Recommended

Would I need to buy two new 4GB in order to get the 8GB due to the fact that the original 2 x 2 modules need to be tossed away?

HP Recommended

Yes. Precisely. You do not need to literally toss them but they do not have much resale value. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help!

HP Recommended

Hello. Very helpful tread. I have the same model, and I also want to upgrade RAM. Mt question is: Is it now poosible to get 16 ram into theese to slots? 2x8 ? 

Best regards

Bjørn

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.