Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
OK I can see what the first problem is the battery chemistry is NiMH [Nickel–metal hydride] and they are the worst batteries that you can get due to the battery remembering when it was charged(i.e. its like a half life affect but it can be prevented). All I can say is get a new NiMH battery and DO NOT I reapeat DO NOT RECHARGE the battery until 15% charge is left then plug it in to charge. I know it sounds annoying but its how a NiMH battery should be treated.
The best way to solve it for good with a bonus of more battery life is to get a Li ion battery.
I'm not a mega expert on everything but I hope this battery tip could help with solve the problem partially or completely.
Here is a link to Wikipedia for Nickel–metal hydride batteries.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel%E2%80%93metal_hydride_battery
HP Recommended

I am having the same problem. When I work I used the AC connection because it makes my screen brighter. However when I start up in the morning I am getting info that my battery is low or need changing or replacing. Also the battery icon on the status bar said the battery is  60% when I know I unplug it at 100% the night before.

I am using a Windows 8.1

when I did the energy test listed on this page it took a little while to analyze.Then it came back and said :

Analysis complete.

Energy effecicency problem were found

7 errors

6 warnings

16 Informational

see C:\batterytest.html  for more detail.

Here is the Detail I copied and paste here ( Because it is a copy & paste the this page formatted it to remove HTML info).

Power Efficiency Diagnostics Report

Computer Name:  COMPAQ-LAPTOP

Scan Time  :2014-03-04T14:43:57Z

Scan Duration :60 seconds

System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard

System Product Name: Compaq Presario CQ60 Notebook PC

BIOS Date: 10/17/2008

BIOS Version: F.31

OS Build: 9600

Platform Role: PlatformRoleMobile

Plugged In : false

Process Count

Thread Count

Report GUID

{4ac77687-ada0-41ef-a3d3-c46251716d88}

Analysis Results Errors

Power Policy:Display timeout disabled (Plugged In)

The display is not configured to turn off after a period of inactivity.

Power Policy:Sleep timeout is disabled (Plugged In)

The computer is not configured to automatically sleep after a period of inactivity.

USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Selective Suspend

This device did not enter the USB Selective Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented when this USB device is not in the Selective Suspend state. Note that this issue will not prevent the system from sleeping.

Device Name

USB Root Hub

Host Controller ID

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_077C

Host Controller Location

PCI bus 0, device 2, function 1

Device ID

USB\VID_10DE&PID_077C

Port Path

USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Selective Suspend

This device did not enter the USB Selective Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented when this USB device is not in the Selective Suspend state. Note that this issue will not prevent the system from sleeping.

Device Name

USB Mass Storage Device

Host Controller ID

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_077C

Host Controller Location

PCI bus 0, device 2, function 1

Device ID

USB\VID_0BDA&PID_0158

Port Path

CPU Utilization:Processor utilization is high

The average processor utilization during the trace was high. The system will consume less power when the average processor utilization is very low. Review processor utilization for individual processes to determine which applications and services contribute the most to total processor utilization.

Average Utilization (%)

Battery:Last Full Charge (%)

The battery stored less than 40% of the Designed Capacity the last time the battery was fully charged.

Battery ID

Hewlett-Packard Primary

Design Capacity

Last Full Charge

Last Full Charge (%)

Device Drivers:

Devices with missing or misconfigured drivers can increase power consumption.

Device Name

Coprocessor

Device ID

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0753&SUBSYS_360A103C&REV_A2\3&2411E6FE&0&0B

Device Status

0x1802400

Device Problem Code

0x1c

Warnings

Power Policy:Display timeout is long (On Battery)

The display is configured to turn off after longer than 5 minutes.

Timeout (seconds)

CPU Utilization:Individual process with significant processor utilization.

This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processor utilization recorded during the trace.

Process Name

explorer.exe

PID

Average Utilization (%)

Module

Average Module Utilization (%)

\Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\shell32.dll

\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

\Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll

This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processor utilization recorded during the trace.

Process Name

ViStart.exe

PID

Average Utilization (%)

Module

\SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys

\SystemRoot\system32\drivers\fltmgr.sys

Process Name

System

PID

Average Utilization (%)

Module

\SystemRoot\system32\halmacpi.dll

\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\nvlddmkm.sys

Process Name

dwm.exe

PID

Average Utilization (%)

Module

\Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\nvwgf2um.dll

\Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\dwmcore.dll

Process Name

svchost.exe

PID

Average Utilization (%)

Module

\Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\sysmain.dll

\Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll

Information

Platform Timer Resolution:Platform Timer Resolution

The default platform timer resolution is 15.6ms (15625000ns) and should be used whenever the system is idle. If the timer resolution is increased, processor power management technologies may not be effective. The timer resolution may be increased due to multimedia playback or graphical animations.

Current Timer Resolution (100ns units)

Power Policy:Active Power Plan

The current power plan in use

Plan Name

OEM Power Saver

Plan GUID

{a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a}

Power Policy:Power Plan Personality (On Battery)

The personality of the current power plan when the system is on battery power.

Personality

Power Saver

Power Policy:Video Quality (On Battery)

Enables Windows Media Player to optimize for quality or power savings when playing video.

Quality Mode

Optimize for Power Savings

Power Policy:Power Plan Personality (Plugged In)

The personality of the current power plan when the system is plugged in.

Personality

Power Saver

Power Policy:802.11 Radio Power Policy is Maximum Performance (Plugged In)

The current power policy for 802.11-compatible wireless network adapters is not configured to use low-power modes.

Power Policy:Video quality (Plugged In)

Enables Windows Media Player to optimize for quality or power savings when playing video.

Quality Mode

Balance Video Quality and Power Savings

System Availability Requests:Analysis Success

Analysis was successful. No energy efficiency problems were found. No information was returned.

Battery:Battery Information

Battery ID

Hewlett-Packard Primary

Manufacturer

Hewlett-Packard

Serial Number

Chemistry

LION

Long Term

Sealed

Design Capacity

Last Full Charge

Platform Power Management Capabilities:Supported Sleep States

Sleep states allow the computer to enter low-power modes after a period of inactivity. The S3 sleep state is the default sleep state for Windows platforms. The S3 sleep state consumes only enough power to preserve memory contents and allow the computer to resume working quickly. Very few platforms support the S1 or S2 Sleep states.

S1 Sleep Supported

false

S2 Sleep Supported

false

S3 Sleep Supported

true

S4 Sleep Supported

true

Platform Power Management Capabilities:Connected Standby Support

Connected standby allows the computer to enter a low-power mode in which it is always on and connected. If supported, connected standby is used instead of system sleep states.

Connected Standby Supported

false

Platform Power Management Capabilities:Adaptive Display Brightness is supported.

This computer enables Windows to automatically control the brightness of the integrated display.

Platform Power Management Capabilities:Processor Power Management Capabilities

Effective processor power management enables the computer to automatically balance performance and energy consumption.

Group

Index

Idle State Count

Idle State Type

ACPI Idle (C) States

Nominal Frequency (MHz)

Maximum Performance Percentage

Lowest Performance Percentage

Lowest Throttle Percentage

Performance Controls Type

ACPI Performance (P) / Throttle (T) States

Platform Power Management Capabilities:Processor Power Management Capabilities

Effective processor power management enables the computer to automatically balance performance and energy consumption.

Group

Index

Idle State Count

Idle State Type

ACPI Idle (C) States

Nominal Frequency (MHz)

Maximum Performance Percentage

Lowest Performance Percentage

Lowest Throttle Percentage

Performance Controls Type

ACPI Performance (P) / Throttle (T) States

HP Recommended

My Hp laptop does this as well. But judging from the lack of HP helpers it would seem the only solution is to take my battery out ever time i unplug. Not too inconvienient but I will say this, "I'm never getting an HP ever again." Since this is a harware problem and I've never done anything to the hardware, it would mean the computer was made this way and if that's the way their gonna make computers then i'll take my bussiness elsewhere.

HP Recommended

I have the same issue with my HP Pavillion 11 and I fully agree with you. HP support is useless, very good at hype and putting software on to control PCs as they like but completely useless when problems arise.

There are several issues on this same matter and even when a so-called HP expert appears they suddenly disappear just as quick without a solution !! GARBAGE.

HP Recommended

HP EXPERTS AND SUPPORT >>>>> WHERE ARE YOU WHEN YOUR CUSTOMERS HAVE PROBLEMS ??

DO YOU WANT FUTURE BUSINESS AND FOR YOUR CURRENT CUSTOMERS TO RECOMMEND YOUR MACHINES ??

OR WOULD YOU PREFER US TO SAY YOUR SUPPORT IS NOTHING SHORT OF DISMAL :indifferent:

HP Recommended

To HP

Thank you for my new rank of "Honour Student"  ..... However I would prefer you give a solution to this issue rather than give me "ranks" that account for nothing in the REAL WORLD !

Just give an answer as to why our HP machines are losing all the battery charge when powered off.

Thank you for your kind consideration but I am not holding my breath waiting for a reply. :Wink:

HP Recommended

It seems this issue has been ongoing now since 12-29-2013 and some expert  called         appears, asks the user for details which are given but then    never replies but just disappears into the ether.

WHERE ARE YOU HP ? JUST GIVING MEDALS OUT FOR POSTS IS NO GOOD !! WE WANT ANSWERS !!

HP Recommended

Please note ..... I see from my profile you are noting systems and IP addresses etc. My posts have been sent to this forum via my LENOVO laptop rather than my HP Pavillion because I am still awaiting my Pavillion to charge once again after going flat when not in use.

GET THIS MATTER SORTED AND GIVE US A SILUTION AS TO WHY HP MACHINES GO FLAT WHEN POWERED OFF AND NOT IN USE PLEASE !!!

Or do we all just change brands next time ??

HP Recommended

Turn off Wifi or Turn on Airplane Mode beforeyou shutdown or sleep

HP Recommended

I can understand why this can work in sleep" mode but when the notebook is turned off????

Do HP leave wireless cards on when everything else is turned off? If so WHY ??

Also where are the HP Experts here with these problems with their computers. Do they al disappear and leave Joe Public to sort their **bleep** out for them

HP Support and Customer Service is useless. I'll never buy another one EVER !!

You can't even e-mail them. GARBAGE. SHEER GARBAGE !!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.