Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I've bought a HP Probook 450 recently. And I upgraded the memory from 4GB to  8GB. I added a 4GB DDR3 Samsung 1600MHz PC12800. But when I start the laptop, it shows error "DDR3 memory type not supported. And it said I should remove the added RAM.

I don't know why I meet this issue although my new RAM has the same tech specs.

What type of RAM should I buy? Or what should I do in order to prevent that error when I startup my laptop?

Thanks for any help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It uses DDR3L (low voltage 1.35 volts) and you may have tried to install regular 1.5 volt DDR3. If this is not right then please provide us will as much information as you can (from the label) on the memory you have added. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

It uses DDR3L (low voltage 1.35 volts) and you may have tried to install regular 1.5 volt DDR3. If this is not right then please provide us will as much information as you can (from the label) on the memory you have added. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response.

I don't think it's a DDR3L b/c my CPU is an Ivy Bridge one, not a Haswell. I heard that only Haswell uses DDR3L. Here's the original and added RAM of my laptop.

BTW, my another laptop has the same configuration: Slot#1 is 1.5V and Slot#2 is 1.35V but it works fine

Original RAM

Added RAM

HP Recommended

It will take a while for your pictures to pass the censors. The Service Manual definitely shows it as DDR3L and a 3rd gen (Ivy Bridge) CPU:

Manual

See pages 1 and 2. 

HP Recommended

Yes, I see it. I think I need to find another RAM.

Thanks for your help 🙂

HP Recommended

your  problems its because you try tu upgrade whit DDR3 -1.5 V

For 450G1 you need DDR3L(attention L) -1.35V

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.