Question

Top Student
huristm
Message 1 of 17 (11,377 Views)

HP Pavilion DV9000 Video Card Failure

I purchased my 17in dv9000 in February of 2007.  For about a year the video card has been giving me problems but nothing that seemed serious.  This weekend however, the card failed.  I called HP for assistance but they left me on hold for over 20 minutes trying to find out two things....1) if the card was integrated into the motherboard and how much it would cost to replace it. 

The representative took entirely too long to get back to me and I needed to be somewhere so I hung up.  Has anyone elese with a dv9000 had this problem and if so was it worth it to replace the car/motherboard or just get a new PC?

Thanks,

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 17 (11,374 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion DV9000 Video Card Failure

Please identify your notebook/pc .

Look at the base/rear/side of the notebook/pc at the barcoded sticker.

Post item number 2 as seen on the following example of an HP notebook's barcoded sticker. The barcode on your HP product may be slightly different in appearance, but will still have the important information needed for us to help you.  

###Do not post the serial number as it is personal information.###
c01931836.gif
Post the installed operating system version ( and whether it is 32 or 64-bit ) anddenot the CPU as an AMD or Intel product

Not posting all of the information as requested will delay our responses and slow troubleshooting of the issue that led you to author a thread.

The product number will enable me to determine if your notebook has the integrated video only or also has an MXM or miniPCI express video card.

A four year old notebook PC does not really have enough value to consider replacing the motherboard. Most four year old notebooks won't even run Windows 7. Yours might if it has an Intel Core duo installed.  Consider replacing your notebook with a new one.  You can still get te data, documents and photos from the hard disk.

Had you considered connecting an external display to the notebook to see if it is indeed the onboard video that has failed and not the LCD display instead?

Have you tried a hard reset?

Best regards,

erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****
You can say thanks by clicking on the Kudos thumbs up icon

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
huristm
Message 3 of 17 (11,363 Views)

Product:  HP Pavilion dv9000

s/n: CNF7xxxxxxxx

p/n: EZ345AV

HP installed OS:  Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit

CPU:  Intel dual core

While my dv9000 may not be expected to run Windows 7 it has done so successfully since Windows 7 was in beta.  This PC has been the most reliable PC I have ever owned and I've been very impressed with its performance (hence my reluctance to replace it).

I don't have an awful lot of documents on the hard disk because I also have a HP Expansion Base with an external hard drive there.  But I do still need to grab a few documents and pictures off the internal hard drive.

I had not considered connecting an external display because I do have not have access to one.  When I spoke to the HP representative he had me go through a few tests that included using a flashlight to see if anything was visible on the display.  In addition after forcing the PC to shut down and restarting I informed him that I never heard the Windows login screen song play (noting a boot into Windows).  He said that was a sign that the video card had infact failed.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "hard reset".

Thank you very much for your help.  I love my PC but if it needs to be replaced it will be.  I'd just rather avoid that if I can.

Honor Student
sharonb-k
Message 4 of 17 (11,346 Views)

hello, 18 months ago my daughter rang  HP head office Melbourne  re- this same issue, she was told then that the dv9000 series was not recalled, it has been used as a paperweight now for way too long. I would never pay $3000 plus for a paperweight. This computer belongs to her friend.

I contacted them today and was given the run around and they said they would check to see if it was in the recalls as the links I have are 3rd party. I have links of the recalls that are over 18 month old links http://www.insidemylaptop.com/free-repair-hp-pavilion-compaq-presario-laptops-out-of-warranty/. HP have been aware of the nvidia gpu for quite some time. Now to get serious, obviously I am not the only one aware of the issues of the black screen/no computer boot etc.. you just have to google dv9000 and you get a heap of listings up with the same issue. I have been told they will check and I was given a case #.  I want this computer repaired totally free of any charges and I have told HP that if I don't get what I want I will have no option but to refer my client to make contact with Office of Fair Trading as she has been sold an inferior product that HP is aware of and not willing to rectify.  will keep you updated

Top Student
huristm
Message 5 of 17 (11,343 Views)

I took your suggestion last night and hooked up notebook to an external monitor.  The result was a fully functioning PC so it appears that the first HP technician was wrong. 

Thank you very much for the suggestion as it saves me a lot of money.  I actually love my dv9000 and was not considering replacing it till Windows 8 hit the market. 

Now, I only have the buy an new monitor and that meets my needs just fine. 

Thanks again  :smileyhappy:

Provost
erico
Message 6 of 17 (11,347 Views)

I suggest that you start your notebook and darken the room. when you see the Windows desktop on the external monitor use a flashlight and shine it on the LCD display. If you now see a dim windows desktop then the display is not faulty. What has failed is the display inverter.

Best regards,
erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 7 of 17 (11,344 Views)

Hi,

Review this video. HP DV2xxx to DV9xxx video issues.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Provost
erico
Message 8 of 17 (11,332 Views)

Big_Dave wrote:

Hi,

Review this video. HP DV2xxx to DV9xxx video issues.

Big_Dave, 

There is no sound in the video.

Best regards,

erico

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 9 of 17 (11,325 Views)

Eric,

There is sound for me. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Provost
erico
Message 10 of 17 (11,323 Views)

For me also. It was an OS issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation