Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hello!

I have a dv6-6b55er model of notebook (product No: A2Y97EA, rev.17F9-110). Some time ago I bought a new WiFi access point which support a 5GHz-band (standards 802.11a/an/b/g/n). But WiFi-module in my notebook is not support this band (WiFi-module based on Broadcom 4313 chip - 2,4GHz band only). My friend gave me a module with support 802.11a (based on Intel-chip). When I installed this module and turned on my notebook - I saw a message that "these notebook is not support these installed module" and not loading  Windows...

So I have a question to You: which miniPCI-E WiFi-modules with 5GHz-band are supported by my notebook? If such modules are exist for my model of notebook...

Thank You!

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

It has to be one of the ones in the Manual and it has to be one that is an official HP Part:

Manual

This is the only compatible adapter for your laptop that can do 5 or 2.4 ghz:

Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 WLAN module 631956-001

Here it is on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Envy-14-14-3010NR-Intel-Centrino-Advanced-N-6230-62230ANHMW-636672-001-/3...

Here it is on HP Partsurfer:

Partsurfer

The one on Partsurfer besides being stupid expensive I do not think is a 6230 dual band card. We have a lot of issues here with HP misidentifying the part number of wireless cards. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Hmmm...

I looked at the manual and found that these Intel-based module not support 802.11a (what is it - a mistake in document?)... And in the list (p.67) there are no modules that support the 5GHz range... Yes, HP's very interesting policy: to sell for $ 45 that is worth $10-15 - I found on Aliexpress for $13.90 with free shipping... Okay, thank you! I will think about it... Maybe I will buy an external USB-module...
HP Recommended

802.11a is an older protocol that operates in the 5ghz band. You see it in business settings like warehouses or in use by airlines out on the Tarmac. You want 802.11n 5ghz. Routers that will connect by 5ghz N will also work with the a protocol, but a is slower. I have identified the Advanced-N 6230 as a card that will work in either 2.4 ghz or 5 ghz. The whitelist also prevents booting if you have an unapproved usb wifi module in the port as you boot up. You can get around it by pulling the usb dongle, let it boot and then stick the dongle back in. Any pci-e card you install has to, as a minimum, have an HP part number; having the correct chipset is not enough. I did not set this up, just reporting the facts.  

HP Recommended

I'm sorry - I have bad English, but I understood you. So you want to say that is not the fact that the module I bought somewhere on e-bay or Ali will work in my notebook? Yes, I understand that I can get a fake - it's probably to be some identifier for notebook in this module... But it is better to err on the $ 13 than 45...

And about witelist and USB-dongle - it's something interesting... Even such verification exists? And why needs all this...

I just want to start using the 5GHz band due to the fact that the range of 2.4 GHz is very very busy in our location. If the new module will support N-standard (at least until 150-200Mbps) - it will be very good for me.

HP Recommended

Hello!

It's been a long time, but I hope that this topic has not yet been archived...

I finally was able to purchase the N6230 module! But I had problems: after I installed it in the laptop and turned laptop on - an error appears on the display: "WiFi module is not supported (702)".
But when I turn on the laptop without module and wait for the OS to boot, and after connect the module - the OS sees it and installs the drivers. The device is visible in the system, but it does not turn on because it is forbidden at the hardware level.

So I have a question: what can I do to turn on this module at the hardware level?..

A BIOS version is F.1C and I could not find a newer version (so I think that no newer versions anymore).

HP Recommended

If the N6230 you have does not have an HP part number on the label or a sticker it is never going to work. All BIOS include the whitelist...updating the BIOS will not help. 

HP Recommended

Hah... Proprietary will sooner or later destroy HP... Whitelists in BIOS - it's very cruel.

I solved my problem with this module in a different way.

Thank You for answers...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.