Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hi,

I recently bought an internal WD7500BPVX 750GB SATA HDD compatible with my HP Pavilion dv7 - 2030eV to be used as a second hard drive, since I already have a 250GB HDD on the laptop. I also bought a SATA cable which I think is compatible and a caddy for the disk. When I connected the SATA cable and pressed the startup button the laptop powered up for about a second and then shut down.  I disconnected the SATA cable and left only the 250GB driver connected. When I powered up again the laptop booted normally. Once I tried connecting the new HDD again the same thing happened. Any ideas what might be happening? I checked twice for the compatibility of the parts before purchasing but I cannot rule it out as a cause.

I thank you all in advance for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Hobistas wrote:

Hi,

I recently bought an internal WD7500BPVX 750GB SATA HDD compatible with my HP Pavilion dv7 - 2030eV to be used as a second hard drive, since I already have a 250GB HDD on the laptop. I also bought a SATA cable which I think is compatible and a caddy for the disk. When I connected the SATA cable and pressed the startup button the laptop powered up for about a second and then shut down.  I disconnected the SATA cable and left only the 250GB driver connected. When I powered up again the laptop booted normally. Once I tried connecting the new HDD again the same thing happened. Any ideas what might be happening? I checked twice for the compatibility of the parts before purchasing but I cannot rule it out as a cause.

Hi,

This series won't boot with two different hard drives. If you want a second hard drive you need the same 250GB drive as the original one to make it work.

Asus ROG STRIX G16 Manjaro Xfce
HP Touchpad provided by HP
HP Microserver Gen8 10TB Debian Server

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Hobistas wrote:

Hi,

Hi,

This series won't boot with two different hard drives. If you want a second hard drive you need the same 250GB drive as the original one to make it work.

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your answer!

I suppose I can at least use the 750GB HDD instead of the 250GB, can't I?

HP Recommended

@Hobistas wrote:

Thank you very much for your answer!

I suppose I can at least use the 750GB HDD instead of the 250GB, can't I?

You can try it. The max compatible config (in the manual) for the hard drives is 1TB with 2 x 500GB 5400rpm. It is possible that some later BIOS updates could extend the compatible configurations to 750GB drives but you have to try it yourself. Put the hdd in and boot up. 

HP Recommended

Ok! I'll give it a try. One last question and I won't bother you further. Is this happening because of the laptops RAID configuration? Is it possible to change a setting in BIOS or BIOS itself to use the two disks together? I don't care if it's difficult, I'm just asking if it's possible. Thank you again. You've been very helpful.

HP Recommended

@Hobistas wrote:

Ok! I'll give it a try. One last question and I won't bother you further. Is this happening because of the laptops RAID configuration? Is it possible to change a setting in BIOS or BIOS itself to use the two disks together? I don't care if it's difficult, I'm just asking if it's possible. Thank you again. You've been very helpful.

Yes, the BIOS has been configure only to equip hard drive with the same size and up to 500GB. I think you might be able to unlock the advanced options in the BIOS but it's not recommended if you don't know what you are doing.

http://donovan6000.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/insyde-bios-modding-advanced-and-power-tabs.html

HP Recommended

i have the same laptop, dv7-2030ev

''This series won't boot with two different hard drives. If you want a second hard drive you need the same 250GB drive as the original one to make it work.''

What does that means? i can use a second hard drive if it is at least 250gb????? (not in the DVD-spot) but in the 2d bay my laptop has? or i can use ONLY 1 hard drive???

Also anyone knows how to upgrade my bios? to see if in a new version i can use 2 hard drives???

{i am planing to buy an 250GB ssd for my sytem to replace the main hard drive and to keep the 250 HDD in the second spot.} is it possible?????????

HP Recommended

You can use two hard drives but they have to be identical. Actually you will be using only one drive because both drives will have the same data on them. It's a physical backup. I dont' think you want that. I didn't want that and was really frustrated to learn that you can't use both drive bays separately. So i'd suggest you use the the drive with the most space as an internal drive and buy a case for the other and use it as an external drive. Or you can try modding the BIOS which is a big task, believe me, i tried.

HP Recommended

When i click on the link  http://donovan6000.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/insyde-bios-modding-advanced-and-power-tabs.html

it's says i need to be invited to view it.

I have a HP Pavilion dv7 7000. I also want to add secondary hard drive. Is it just a matter of installing the cradle and new cable or do i have to mess with the bios?

What i really would like to do is transfer all the os and my programs and files from old 1tb HDD to new 1tb HDD and install as primary. My original 1tb HDD is going on 8 years old and while it is still fine i know it going to die sooner than later.

I have updated my Bios to the latest version.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.