Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi, I ve got the HP Pavilion x360 11-n010dx, and it make an strange sound when in put in 90 degrees. like a click clikc click all the time, since the day that I get it 5 months ago. to be honest never was a fast computer, also my old vaio runs faster that this. I thougth that It was for windows 8 and the 4 gb of ram. but some one told me that could be te HDD. so,  first is any chance to repair this disk using HDD regenerator or something similar (I guess not), or making a full restore of the system???? (I dont have the box and the bill from best buy so I cant take it to the support service or use the warranty, and im from argetntina and I get  this pc in US). Also in case I need it is any chance to change the HDD to a SSHD? or an SSD? in that case, what should I buy? lately but not least, is any chance to upgrade memory? i know this is sold to the mainboard. (any remote chance??????) If I have to un sold it is not a problem, because I cant use the warranty so....(no bill, no box).  well I apreciate very much your help

Dr. Herman Perroud

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@HermanPerroud wrote:

Hi again, I run the complete hardware test of the system, it does not make any mistake on the hard drive. but the click sound still going. and computer still slow. 

From where is the sound coming from? Is it from the cooling fans, near air vents or from hard drive side? Look at the manual for their approximate positions & identify the area from where sound originates.

Is there any overheating, sudden shutdowns , unusually warm air through air vents, or any error messages?

If there are no hard drive failures it is unlikely the cause is due to hard drive bad sectors or simply bad HDD. To confirm Download,Run this Free HD Tune program - it'll take few hours to complete.

Did you partition the hard drive after you bought the laptop?

I want to change the HD to a SSHD, because SSD are much better but they are very expensive and has shorter lifetime. so, the maximun sshd size would bee 500 gb? I would like to put something bigger, is that possible? 

SSHD - the max compatible listed is in this config: 2.5" SATA 7mm (500gb HDD + 8gb SSD) Hybrid (HP Part number: 732000-005), there is no other guaranteed compatible.

I suggest you go for SSD - there is no problem I've heard till now with them. They would definitely work for at least 10years (and more than that) with the same performance & in my case (I have 500gb Samsung 840 Evo SSD) the access time and overall performance is improving day by day.  If you want larger storage, its better you buy an external HDD. If you want dramatic performance SSD is my choice,  though I'm not saying SSHD is bad - but it still has spinning physical drive which is the main part.

About the RAM I already update the bios, so I think Im ready to go for it.

I check my virus staus and my pc is free, also check windows sevices and leave only the esencial, I dont know why it take so long to star up, and to run programs I know is a modest pc, but Im only use statistical programs, ofimatic and thats all..... 

For detecting & fixing malwares, download & install this free tool: MalwareBytes Antimalware

Do update to latest version & CHECK MARK "Scan rootkits" from its Settings before starting the scan.

After the scan, quarantine the detected objects. Restart system. Again open the Malware Bytes program, go to History Tab in it: delete all the quarantined objects from there

Restart system.

Open command prompt as Administrator, do a SFC SCAN , check if any integrity violations are there:
SFC SCAN COMMAND - Option 2

Then, Disable Unnecessary Startup Programs in Task Manager - Option 1

Restart system.

Regards

Visruth

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended
Hi Dr.Herman,

You can test your hard drive & memory from BIOS System Diagnostics by tapping F2 or F10 key soon after you press the power button:
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03467259

Due to the fact that your system is running slow, it's best to rule out hardware failure first by following the steps given in the document.

If any test fail, that part would be replaced with no cost by HP as you're under warranty. Since you lost the invoice, I doubt if they'll agree for that. Anyway it's better you contact them and get details.

Contact HP:
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

Check warranty: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/weInput?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=6970532

You laptop specs:
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04202035

Replacing the HDD by SSD makes a dramatic improvement in system performance & you can do it on your own . RAM can be upgraded to 8gb MAX with only 1slot present, so you've to replace current 4gb with 8gb .

RAM config needed: 8gb DDR3L PC3L-12800 SODIMM SDRAM
("L" indicate Low Voltage RAM)

You can buy the RAM either from HP part store by referring the part number from the manual given below or just buy good branded ones with the same configuration as given in the manual - Crucial, G.Skill, Hynix , Samsung are all good brands.

Both RAM & HDD are customer replaceable parts, just follow the manual properly.

Manual: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04153107.pdf

For RAM & HDD details - go through page 1, 16 in the manual.

For replacement procedures of HDD & RAM - go through page 36-38 & 41,42 in the manual.

Regards

Visruth
HP Recommended

thanks! I let you know what happend, Im going to start with all the test now

HP Recommended
Okay, let me know how it goes.

Few things I have to add to my previous post:

In case you're replacing 4gb with 8gb RAM, it is mandatory you update the BIOS to latest version available in your product site. So, update it before any replacement whatsoever.

Read this:
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00042629

Your driver download page, latest bios (version: F12, dated: 2014-06-09, 7.05MB size) is listed in here:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4158&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=6970...

If you're planning for SSD upgrade, keep in mind this specs: 2.5 inch SATA , 7mm thick , 500gb internal notebook SSD.

Regards

Visruth
HP Recommended

Hi again, I run the complete hardware test of the system, it does not make any mistake on the hard drive. but the click sound still going. and computer still slow. 

I want to change the HD to a SSHD, because SSD are much better but they are very expensive and has shorter lifetime. so, the maximun sshd size would bee 500 gb? I would like to put something bigger, is that possible? 

I check my virus staus and my pc is free, also check windows sevices and leave only the esencial, I dont know why it take so long to star up, and to run programs I know is a modest pc, but Im only use statistical programs, ofimatic and thats all..... 

thanks

HERMAN

HP Recommended

@HermanPerroud wrote:

From where is the sound coming from? Is it from the cooling fans, near air vents or from hard drive side? Look at the manual for their approximate positions & identify the area from where sound originates.

Is there any overheating, sudden shutdowns , unusually warm air through air vents, or any error messages?

If there are no hard drive failures it is unlikely the cause is due to hard drive bad sectors or simply bad HDD. To confirm Download,Run this Free HD Tune program - it'll take few hours to complete.

Did you partition the hard drive after you bought the laptop?

SSHD - the max compatible listed is in this config: 2.5" SATA 7mm (500gb HDD + 8gb SSD) Hybrid (HP Part number: 732000-005), there is no other guaranteed compatible.

I suggest you go for SSD - there is no problem I've heard till now with them. They would definitely work for at least 10years (and more than that) with the same performance & in my case (I have 500gb Samsung 840 Evo SSD) the access time and overall performance is improving day by day.  If you want larger storage, its better you buy an external HDD. If you want dramatic performance SSD is my choice,  though I'm not saying SSHD is bad - but it still has spinning physical drive which is the main part.

For detecting & fixing malwares, download & install this free tool: MalwareBytes Antimalware

Do update to latest version & CHECK MARK "Scan rootkits" from its Settings before starting the scan.

After the scan, quarantine the detected objects. Restart system. Again open the Malware Bytes program, go to History Tab in it: delete all the quarantined objects from there

Restart system.

Open command prompt as Administrator, do a SFC SCAN , check if any integrity violations are there:
SFC SCAN COMMAND - Option 2

Then, Disable Unnecessary Startup Programs in Task Manager - Option 1

Restart system.

Regards

Visruth

HP Recommended

well, te sound comes from the place close to the cooler, also y try to figure out if this came from the HDD or the fan, and to be honest, i think is the cooler.

anyway, Im going to get theSamsung 840 Evo 500 Gb Ssd anyway to improve the speed and then upgrade the Ram, I think is the smart option. also will check the cooler to see what make that anoying sound. 

so, thanks for your answers.

regards

Dr. Herman Perroud.

ps. Im going to do it myself, since HP support in argentina never answer my calls. 

HP Recommended

Hi

You're welcome!

You could try blowing dry compressed can air through the air vents, exhausts to clean out dust, debris, any clogging in the cooling area.

Before SSD replacement, do update chipset to the latest version given in your product site:
Download, save & then install the below latest drivers one by one. Restart system after each installation.

Intel chipset:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-129314-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

Intel Sideband Fabric:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-129318-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

Also, do a SFC scan to rule out system file corruption , move all your personal files, videos, music temporarily to another external drive (to make HDD minimum size with only the required files that are needed for your system to work smoothly) , do a disk cleanup, disk defragmentation before migrating HDD to SSD.

Regards

Visruth

HP Recommended

Hi again Im going to by a SSD SAMSUNG 840 EVO 500 GB (500 Gigabytes) SATA 6gb/s (sata 3) Model nr. MZ-7TE500BW

is this disk going to work on my laptop? (HP Pavilion x360 11-n010dx ) thanks

HP Recommended

From what I could understand , Samsung 840 Evo SSD would definitely work on your laptop.

Just download the Samsung migration tool for cloning HDD to SSD.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.