Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I would like to find out if my notebook graphics card can be replaced/upgraded.

These are my specs:    HP Pavilion g6-1c71ca Notebook PC

Intel Core i3 2330 m @ 2.20 GHz

DDR3 6 GB RAM

Intel HD Graphics Family (Im a little worried about this)

Windows 7 Home Premium

I just got it 2 months ago and I plan to use my laptop for gaming but so far COD MW3 can only run well on medium  with some choppy gameplay but runs best on lowest settings.

Advise suggestions and tip would be greatly appreciated,

33 REPLIES 33
HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, in order to upgrade the graphics adapter, the entire motherboard would need to be replaced with one that offers discrete graphics.

Needless to say, you would be better off purchasing a notebook with the graphics solution you are looking for.

Paul

HP Recommended

Thank you for your advise, but I would stil like to know if there is  anyway to boost my notebook's performance so as to improve my gaming experience(besides overclocking ?

HP Recommended

The only thing I could think of is upgrading the memory ... eitherwise nothing more.

You see the Intel HD3000 is not even a physical graphics card it is build in the CPU it is part of the i3 processor

i3 /i5 / i7 family has the HD3000 as default graphics.

Your laptop motherboard does not have a chip for dedicated graphics card.

Only way would be to replace the motherboard with something like one below:

The motherboard has to have the Intel HM 65 Express Chipset to support your processor and the discrete graphics card.

Also you will need to replace your heatsink in order to cover the new graphics chip.

For use in Intel HM65 discrete, 1 GB, computer models(MotherBoard)

Part No : 639526-001

For use in Intel discrete computer models (HeatSink)

Part No : 641025-001

HP Recommended
Thanks for your reply but do you know of the price range or stores where I could get these parts and have these upgrades performed? also i plan to get a Nvidia Geforce 525m because I heard it was excellent for Notebook gaming.
HP Recommended

You will have to google about anything else and have a look around I am afraid.

I think that the only option you can have is only ATI ... not nVidia.

HP Recommended
Got a hp pavilion g6 2238dx with amd radeon hd 7640g integrated graphics and 1.9GHz A8 4500M ,windows 8 can i add a dedicated video card
HP Recommended

Leader21,  

The graphics card is something that typically isn't upgradeable on the majority of consumer models out there.  This guide put together by Erico, a community expert, covers the topic of upgrading hardware in a notebook including the graphics card.

With that said, this unit does support the AMD APUs.  The APU has the graphics card built into it, so you could replace the processor to get a different graphics card.  Page 83 of this guide lists the A series processors that are compatible with this unit.  the A10-4600M is the highest listed process.  According to Part Surfer, this APU has a Radeon 7660 card.  The processor is more than likely custom designed for HP, but the video card appears to be aligned with what AMD offers based on this.  This is technically an upgrade, but I suspect this will only provide marginal improvements on the GPU side and the cost/benefit of this upgrade may not justify it.  

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

so i can possibly add an ati dedicated graphics card

HP Recommended

Generally speaking, no.  This particular system does not support a dedicated graphics card (if it didn't come with one out of the box).  It is an integrated CPU, but happens to be one that is attached to the processor itself.  In a roundabout way, the integrated GPU can be upgraded by upgrading the processor.  However, this is not a simple task and would provide a marginal improvement at best over what it currently has.  This site gives a brief overview of the A10 and A8 (what your system currently has) and lists the integrated graphics card on each.  The only difference between the two is the streaming cores (graphics cores on the site), and I'm not certain that alone will make a significant difference.

It won't quite work like a desktop where you could by a dedicated card and add it to the system.  Very few laptops have this option and I'm not aware of any from HP that do.  

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.