Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello all,

I have an HP Probook 4540s, i7, 2nd generation laptop. A backlit keyboard wasn't something I was considering when I bought the laptop, but now, after use, I find myself wishing that there was back light for the keyboard.

My question is whether I can have a backlit keyboard installed into my laptop (ie. replace the keyboard maybe?). If so, what are the steps I must take to do so?

Thank you, 

MASH5

Egypt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

The following review says no backlit keyboard. HP may not be able to help you and my say "buy a new machine, different model, with backlit keyboard". If you wish, you can call them to ask.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-HP-ProBook-4540s-Notebook.85978.0.html

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

Normally the keyboard alone won't do anything good. You need to replace the mother board/system board too because you need somewhere to plug cables for all the lights. Some people suggested using internal USB power source and this could be a very, very, very costly exercise.

Hope this makes sense.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

First, thank you for your quick reply.

Second, I want to know if the option for my laptop (Probook 4540s/i7/2rd generation) to even get a backlit keyboard installed is available, as I read in other places that certain models don't/can't get a backlit keyboard (if I understood correctly).

And if I wanted to get it, what should I do? Should I go directly to an HP company? 

Finally, about how much would the price be? As you said, it is expensive (and I would probably guess so), but what is the probable range of its price?

HP Recommended

Hi,

The following review says no backlit keyboard. HP may not be able to help you and my say "buy a new machine, different model, with backlit keyboard". If you wish, you can call them to ask.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-HP-ProBook-4540s-Notebook.85978.0.html

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

Thank you very much. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.