Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I'm a tech still fairly new to the concept of tatooing motherboard's for HP calls.

I'm tatooing a serial number to a replacement motherboard for an HP Z420 server

I boot from a flash drive with windows 98 and the DMI files in a folder.  After getting the dos prompt i go into the DMI (5.03) folder and attempt to run NBDMIFIT.BAT and get the error 'Vendor code not support in this package' -- it's worked before (so i believe)

What am I doing wrong?

Also a side question, anyone else have trouble reading the 'feature byte' string??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

You may also want to post your question on the HP Business Support Forum -- z -Workstations section.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Workstations-z-series-xw-series/bd-p/bsc-272#.UqJ5XP2A3Gg

On a lot of newer HP business desktops, there is no need to run any programs to add the S/N to the BIOS.

You can see if this approach works on the Z workstations like it does on the newer HP 8xxx Elite's.

After entering BIOS Setup by hitting the F10 key, press Ctrl+A to open additonal fields in Security>System IDs menu.

Enter your PC's serial number in Asset Tag Number and Chassis Serial Number fields.

Save changes there and again when you exit the BIOS.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

You may also want to post your question on the HP Business Support Forum -- z -Workstations section.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Workstations-z-series-xw-series/bd-p/bsc-272#.UqJ5XP2A3Gg

On a lot of newer HP business desktops, there is no need to run any programs to add the S/N to the BIOS.

You can see if this approach works on the Z workstations like it does on the newer HP 8xxx Elite's.

After entering BIOS Setup by hitting the F10 key, press Ctrl+A to open additonal fields in Security>System IDs menu.

Enter your PC's serial number in Asset Tag Number and Chassis Serial Number fields.

Save changes there and again when you exit the BIOS.

HP Recommended

OK I'll give that a try...THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.