Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
compaq 6730s
Linux

Hello

I have a 7 year-old hp compaq  6730s, running both ubuntu and windows . It has  4GB ddr2 ram (I think 667MHz, but i'm not sure on this) and an 64 bit Intel Centrino dual processor. It works fantastic still. But I have to run long analysis and many programs at the same time and that makes it go slow sometimes, or even freeze. I was wondering If I should look more for a RAM upgrade or for a processor upgrade. I think the former, but I have never done it before

Thank you!

Gonzalo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

I don't run Lunix therefore I don't know how it manages memory. In the other word, I know we can put data in memory and eliminate I/O to disk -much, much, much faster but in that word RAM is still very, very expensive. Now they will put flash card to new machines which is much cheaper to use for page and swap files. In short, more memory is good.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

It uses 800MHz RAM and supports up to 8GB. Please check more information from the following document:

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c04142170

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi and thak you for your answer,

however my question was more if I should go for a RAM or a processor upgrade. Both are fairly expensive so maybe none of them is worth it if the performance is not going to increase significantly. Its an "old" computer :Wink:

Cheers!

HP Recommended

Hi,

I don't run Lunix therefore I don't know how it manages memory. In the other word, I know we can put data in memory and eliminate I/O to disk -much, much, much faster but in that word RAM is still very, very expensive. Now they will put flash card to new machines which is much cheaper to use for page and swap files. In short, more memory is good.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

by flash card you mean SSD drives?

So probably more memory is the way to go. Thank you for helping me! 🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.