Question

Honor Student
lexozzy
Message 1 of 6 (5,734 Views)

HP envy dv7 2nd hard drive cable

Hi all,

I recently purchased the HP ENVY dv7-7201sa, and was quite disappointed to find out that the 2nd hard drive caddy space did not come with a SATA cable to connect a secondy hard drive.

I have been unable to locate an appropriate cable, and was wondering if anyone knows where I would be able to purchase one? (I purchased the HP Pavillion version hoping this would fit, but the connction to the motherboard is smaller in the Envy model).

Really hoping someone would be able to help me.

Thank you very much

Alex Rankine

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 6 (5,722 Views)

Re: HP envy dv7 2nd hard drive cable

Hi,

This is one place:

http://www.newmodeus.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=498

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Regents Professor
UniProg
Message 3 of 6 (5,700 Views)

Hello lexozzy,

You can also find any part/number in your Maintenance and Service Guide.   You can also purchase parts at HP Partsurfer.

Good luck!

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Honor Student
vmguy
Message 4 of 6 (5,664 Views)

I agree.  HP should have provided the caddy and cable inside the machine.

The sata drive is way too slow;  I replaced mine with an SSD.

Now I want the capacity of the original drive, but have to scrounge around for the kit.

Honor Student
jen_w_1_n
Message 5 of 6 (5,649 Views)

Hi Alex,

HP didn't make it easy to find this part, nor was I able to receive assistance during hours outside of their business hours.  Another issue was, regardless of how they say now to get those parts, why all the trouble to have to? 

The other person that replied and sent that link to you is where I found and ordered mine as well.  They were fast, accurate in descriptinon, and no run around. 

In the end, sad day when this is the line of business I'm in, and even then, HP made it hard!

Good luck! 

Now, I'm just trying to fight my boot order!  UGHHHHHH 

Honor Student
jaxupra
Message 6 of 6 (5,556 Views)

I just had the same thing happen to me.  I bought a Samsung 840 Pro, and they also have a lesser 840 which comes either with or without a kit for ~$20 difference.  The Pro doesn't come with a kit, and they don't sell them separately. I installed the SSD, it works fine.   I ordered a kit elsewhere and am waiting to install my original 1TB in slot 2.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation