Message 1 of 5 (327 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP envy upgrade

Hi Guys,

I'm about to buy a new HP Envy B8U90UT with the following main specifications:

• Intel Core i5 3317U 2.6 GHz (32 MB Cache);
  • 08 GB DDR3 SDRAM (1600 Mhz)
  • 256 GB Solid-State Drive;

My idea is to upgrade to 16BG RAM. Do you know if there is any compatibility issue betweem 256GB SSD and 16GB RAM?

I'm asking because I tried to customize some notebooks at HP site and sometimes I found compatibility issues between these two components.

Tks, Diogo.

Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Message 2 of 5 (304 Views)

Re: HP envy upgrade

[ Edited ]

Hello Diogo142.  I understand you have some question before purchasing a new notebook.

The ENVY line is usually "higher performance" than most notebooks and should have the option to originally ship with 16GB of RAM.  For this reason you should have no problem upgrading it later.  Just make sure to purchase and install the appropriate (matching) memory modules and you shouldn't have any issues.

If you have any further questions just let me know.  I hope you have a great evening!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

Honor Student
Diogo142
Message 3 of 5 (286 Views)

Hi Attack, tks for your clarifications.

To be honest, I'm not so confortable about the exact memory that I need to buy.

Do you have the technical details about this memory (compatible brands, correct specification, form factor, etc..)?

tks, Diogo.

Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Message 4 of 5 (275 Views)

[ Edited ]

Good morning Diogo142.  I sure can!

If you look at the notebook's Maintenance and Service Guide on page 41 it has the type of memory listed as PC3-12800 (1600MHz) RAM.  This would be also known as "DDR3."  It even has the part numbers.  If you're worried about choosing the wrong memory you could use the listed part numbers (on page 41) to purchase these parts directly from HP through HP Part Surfer.  If you wanted to pick another brand (HP uses a few) then I'd suggest Kingston or Cosair.  These are likely the brands already used by HP though I can't confirm this.

I hope this answers your question.  If not, feel free to ask more!  I hope you have an excellent day. :smileyhappy:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

Honor Student
Diogo142
Message 5 of 5 (265 Views)

Hi Attack,

Tks for your information. I thinks that it's fine now.

Diogo.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation