Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

Not sure who you are asking about a mobo swap, but the thing about HP laptops that we've encountered is that the only wifi cards they take are the ones originally sold with them or available with them.  Most have a choice between low capability N cards and very low capability N cards.  The one in my current laptop doesn't hit 64mbps; HP ended up buying me an external 450mbps adaptor after we found that even a wifi card supplied by HP itself wouldn't work.

HP had maybe 1 or 2 business laptops that I found that could come with an AC wifi card.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.

Actually I was referring to 

Regents Professor
pepe999

as he claims Intel Dualband 7260 worked in his DV6-7000 after a motherboard replacement that had GT650m GPU
HP Recommended

If he is using a 'fixed' or 'cracked' bios little reason why it would not work.  Of course, I don't know how many antennas the card takes or that laptop has, but if one takes it apart enough to change mobos, adding an antenna or two should be rather easy.

HP Recommended

I also have the N7260 in my 210 G1 and it is useless. had to use a USB adapter while travling.

using the very latest drivers I could find - 17.12.0.4 and disabled U-APSD it will connect to my router at home, while travelling that is another matter.

HP Recommended

Just wanted to share that I put a new Intel 7260 ac into my HP 4530s and it was whitelisted. I bypassed it succesfully using the method described here in this link;

http://milksnot.com/content/project-dirty-laundry-how-defeat-whitelisting-without-bios-modding

I follwed through the method of the link but it turned out that my 'code' was the same as that desribed by the author who had a HP 4730s.

It all works well.

Shame on you HP for making life difficult.

HP Recommended

So I have HP 4720s this is maybe same with your 4730?

HP Recommended

I would guess so, yes its highly likely. But you can follow the link through and make sure that your set-up gives the same answers. You need to really be running a dual boot linux / windows system to be able to follow the guide I posted, this will also ensure that you have grub installed. Grub is needed as it issues the command to switch the card back on during the boot cycle.

HP Recommended

Ok Thnx I try it!

HP Recommended

My thoughts - I have researched several places of information with the intent to be objective:

I found where people understand and can rewrite the BIOS to allow any Wifii card to be used - it does. There is two methods - allow all Wifi Cards or replace Hardware IDs. The problem that will occur - will show what happens. Therefore to understand what is best to use - some cards get too hot to use, yet some work far better than the original Wifi card did. I had some that were too hot to use and some that made the whole notebook cooler than it ever was. Therefore its not good for long term use - I can prove that from the evidence:

From what I saw its best to swap the Hardware IDs in the BIOS software - to swap Hardware IDs with the best cards -  make the notebook work better not worse. For example - a designed for HP worked better than a generic Intel card I had. Therefore real world application shows these things.

Therefore keeping the BIOS that allows all Wifi cards without changing the hardware IDs, in the BIOS, I found a problem - something is missing therefore creates a problem - I would shutdown, then later startup yet Wifi card was not active. Wifi card did not appear until I restarted after startup - then either the light shows active or press key, then it lights up and active. Therefore if I replaced Hardware IDs accurately in BIOS software it worked with the best card - shutdown and startup just like the original - yet better card.

HP Recommended

For those who are still reading this thread, my guess is that you have a whitelisted BIOS, and want to make a newer mPCIe wireless adapter card work. 

I've been there, and done that.  So, my advice for you:

Start by looking here: https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Forum-Confirmed-WiFi-WWAN-Whitelist-Removal-Mods

This is the best spot to find BIOS modifications that have proven to work.  I have done it to my HP Pavilion dv6770se.  It was just as easy as flashing the newer BIOS from the HP support website file: sp52477.  Same flash program, just replaced the new modded BIOS file (in my case 30CFF34B.WPH which I renamed to BIOS.WPH and placed in the Winphlash64 folder).  If you run a 32 bit OS, place it in the SWinFlash folder, and run the flash executable from the respective folder.  That's it.

See my experience here: https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-Confirmed-whitelist-removed-and-Intel-Wifi-on-AMD-CPU-dv6700

Agree with advice above; cleaner to replace whitelisted hardware id with your specific card hardware id.  Above modded BIOS's just remove the whitelist check altogether.  However, it is easier to just download an already proven, modded BIOS that eliminates the check altogether.  Otherwise, you will have to mod the BIOS yourself or have someone else do it to add your specific card's info (much more risky . . . better know what you're doing or trust a 3rd part to do it).  If you pull your modded BIOS file from here: https://www.bios-mods.com/BIOS/  you're safe.

Also, unlike the experience others have had, I have an AMD cpu/chipset and am successfully running an Intel AC 3160 wireless card without driver problems or conflicts.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.