Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Well to update everyone Intel 7260-AC does work with hp envy 7214nr no problems.

HP Recommended

I gather this is a fairly new laptop.  Are you using a stock bios?  Or, in other words, do the newer laptops, or perhaps the Envy's, not have the idiotic whitelists in the bios?

HP Recommended

@pbug56 wrote:

I gather this is a fairly new laptop.  Are you using a stock bios?  Or, in other words, do the newer laptops, or perhaps the Envy's, not have the idiotic whitelists in the bios?

It was purchased May of this year and already not sold anymore.  It is stock hp bios  which just updated itself two weeks ago via help and support app to version f.28 though the website still shows f.24 as the current bios.  Don't know if the older bios would have allowed the new card to work.

HP Recommended

I'd dig up the 6230 that HP sent me and try to install it if I thought that the latest bios for my DV7 would allow it.

HP Recommended

Guys, consider this:

1. There is no reason for any whitelists, If the warranty has passed.

2. You're talking something about FCC. Well, AFAIK they don't have any jurisdiction in the EU (where I'm from), so I have no reason to comply with their so-called rules.

3. Even if the laptop still have a valid warranty, the user have the right to choose if he wants to deny it or not.

Anything else could be only stupid excuses.

HP Recommended

I can think of reasons too:

1. The Computer is still usable therefore the older computer would need upgrade to better preform.

2. When we replace parts, its best to get a better part for an older computer when available

Unlike different brands of RAM, Hard Drive or Solid state Drive. I recall it must be reworked in BIOS software to ROM memory to be recognized and meet certain criteria, which is different than just adding a Hard drive or RAM. I did rework the software in BIOS to ROM memory to allow a WiFi card to work - yet wonder if that Wifi card getting that hot is normal.

HP Recommended
631956-001 is Actually Intel Centrino 1030, 6230 has a different spare part number. The Maintenance Guide made a mistake, and 6230 is not really supported.
HP Recommended

HP actually sent me the 6230 and it turns out it too is blocked by the white list.  

Considering how inexpensive these better wifi card are, plus that 4 or 5 years ago like HP laptops had 3 wire antenna based N cards that were quite decent, it's mind boggling that even expensive laptops come with really bad cards now, though I've spotted one or two new models with 11AC cards.

HP Recommended

Hello, I just got a new wlan card for my compaq presario a940nr because we upgraded our internet speeds. It seems that the internet is now faster than my laptop. The old card is an Atheros, and the new one is a Broadcom, which is supported by other HP's, just not mine. I've looked over everywhere and I cannot find out how to removw the whitelist from my laptop. Is there any way possible you can help me with this?Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Mike

HP Recommended

Bought a new adapter Intel 7260.HMWANWB mPCI-e, 802.11a/b/g/n, 2x2 but on my ProBook 4720s it's not included in the "whitelist" (( Is it possible to update the BIOS that would not buy a new laptop? Need 5 GHz range with 300-450 Mbit speed and Bluetooth 3.0/4.0.

Please help me!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.