Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I am having a problem while adding an extra mSATA SSD for my HP Envy 1002tx model.

The laptop comes with a 500gb HDD and I see that there is a 2.5" mSATA SSD slot under the HDD so I purchased the same type SSD and installed it in but when I turn the laptop on, it just did not show up. I dont know why??? 😞

I want to have a SSD to boot up the laptop and HDD to store stuffs.

If anyone know if there is any software I have to install in order for the laptop to recognise the SSD?

OR

Is it hardware faulty?

Thank you in advance!

Sang,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@SangT wrote:

@pepe999 wrote:

Remove the hard drive and try to boot up only with the mSATA SSD. 

Did that and it showed 'No Bootable Device Insert Boot Disk and Press any Key'

I'm really sorry I couldn't find this out before but the slot underneath the hard drive is not compatible with mSATA drives. It's for WWAN modules!! Your laptop is not Envy 4 as I thought but Envy 14 equipped by the first generation of the Intel processors. Envy 14-2000 Sandy Bridge series could be BIOS modded to make the miniPCI-e interface working with mSATA drives but Envy 14-1000 series is not possible to modify.

edit: 2.5" 256GB solid state drive is listed as compatible.:)

Asus ROG STRIX G16 Manjaro Xfce
HP Touchpad provided by HP
HP Microserver Gen8 10TB Debian Server

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

@SangT wrote:

Hi,

I am having a problem while adding an extra mSATA SSD for my HP Envy 1002tx model.

The laptop comes with a 500gb HDD and I see that there is a 2.5" mSATA SSD slot under the HDD so I purchased the same type SSD and installed it in but when I turn the laptop on, it just did not show up. I dont know why??? 😞

I want to have a SSD to boot up the laptop and HDD to store stuffs.

If anyone know if there is any software I have to install in order for the laptop to recognise the SSD?

OR

Is it hardware faulty?

Thank you in advance!

Sang,

Hi,

Have you installed the Intel Rapid Storage driver?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-84711-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
HP Recommended

Hi,

I installed the Intel Rapid Storage driver but it only show the 500gb HDD 😞

Hi,

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-84711-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...

HP Recommended

@SangT wrote:

Hi,

I installed the Intel Rapid Storage driver but it only show the 500gb HDD 😞

Hi,

There is RAID configured for the mSATA SSD and the hard drive. Follow this:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/80419-35-replacing-envy-sleekbook-recognized

"I was able to reformat both the HDD and the included 32GB mSATA SSD cache, installing Windows 7 Ult x64 OS onto the 32GB mSATA SSD and using that as the boot drive instead of the slower 5400rpm 500GB HDD, which is now a slave drive.

1) Disassemble the laptop and remove the mSATA SSD.

2) Leave the laptop disassembled and boot it up. You will be greeted with an Intel Matrix RAID configuration screen. Delete the RAID setup on the 500GB HDD and unbind it from the SSD cache. Finish and turn off the laptop.

3) Plug the mSATA SSD back onto the mobo and boot up the computer again. You will be greeted by the same Intel Matrix RAID configuration screen. Now, delete the RAID setup on the mSATA SSD. Finish and turn off the laptop.

4) Boot up the laptop with a Windows OS installation disc inside a connected external USB DVD drive. Hit ESC and select boot priority. Boot from DVD Drive and follow steps to delete partitions and reformat the SSD and HDD drives."

HP Recommended

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/80419-35-replacing-envy-sleekbook-recognized

"I was able to reformat both the HDD and the included 32GB mSATA SSD cache, installing Windows 7 Ult x64 OS onto the 32GB mSATA SSD and using that as the boot drive instead of the slower 5400rpm 500GB HDD, which is now a slave drive.

2) Leave the laptop disassembled and boot it up. You will be greeted with an Intel Matrix RAID configuration screen. Delete the RAID setup on the 500GB HDD and unbind it from the SSD cache. Finish and turn off the laptop.

3) Plug the mSATA SSD back onto the mobo and boot up the computer again. You will be greeted by the same Intel Matrix RAID configuration screen. Now, delete the RAID setup on the mSATA SSD. Finish and turn off the laptop.

4) Boot up the laptop with a Windows OS installation disc inside a connected external USB DVD drive. Hit ESC and select boot priority. Boot from DVD Drive and follow steps to delete partitions and reformat the SSD and HDD drives."

Sorry but I could not see any Intel Matrix RAID configuration screen!

Also my envy is older than the one you posted. Mine only comes with windows installed on the 500gb HDD and no SSD.

Here are the steps that I tried:

1. Reinstalled the Intel Rapid Storage Driver.

2. Removed the 128gb mSATA SSD and still leave the ogirinal 500gb HDD connected.

3. Turned on the laptop and it just turned on normally. (No Intel Matrix RAID configeration screen apppeared)

4. Turned off and turned it on again, pressed F2 and System Diagnostic screen appeared as in the picture.  http://s891.photobucket.com/user/sangtram/media/IMG_0289_zps0f11a446.jpg.html

After I tried a few time and the Intel Matrix RAID configeration still not appeared, I removed both the 128gb SSD and 500gb HDD and the following screen appeared. http://s891.photobucket.com/user/sangtram/media/IMG_0288_zps23034bec.jpg.html

Do you know how to enter the Intel Matrix RAID configuration screen?

Thank you very much for your help!

HP Recommended

@SangT wrote:

Sorry but I could not see any Intel Matrix RAID configuration screen!

Also my envy is older than the one you posted. Mine only comes with windows installed on the 500gb HDD and no SSD.

Here are the steps that I tried:

1. Reinstalled the Intel Rapid Storage Driver.

2. Removed the 128gb mSATA SSD and still leave the ogirinal 500gb HDD connected.

3. Turned on the laptop and it just turned on normally. (No Intel Matrix RAID configeration screen apppeared)

4. Turned off and turned it on again, pressed F2 and System Diagnostic screen appeared as in the picture.  http://s891.photobucket.com/user/sangtram/media/IMG_0289_zps0f11a446.jpg.html

After I tried a few time and the Intel Matrix RAID configeration still not appeared, I removed both the 128gb SSD and 500gb HDD and the following screen appeared. http://s891.photobucket.com/user/sangtram/media/IMG_0288_zps23034bec.jpg.html

Do you know how to enter the Intel Matrix RAID configuration screen?

Thank you very much for your help!

I think that you have to press ctrl+I at startup but have a look in the BIOS how the system has been set for SATA.

HP Recommended

I think that you have to press ctrl+I at startup but have a look in the BIOS how the system has been set for SATA.

Tried Ctrl+I at start up but not working and my BIOS does not have any SATA configuration show up.

The only options in the BIOS configuration are

-Language (English)

-Virtualization Technology (Disabled)

-Lan Power Saving (Disable)

-Fan Always On (Disable)

-Fast Charge Mode (Enable)

-Action Keys Mode (Enable)

-And Boot Options

BTW my BIOS is F.23

HP Recommended

HP Recommended

@pepe999 wrote:

HP Recommended

@SangT wrote:

@pepe999 wrote:

I'm really sorry I couldn't find this out before but the slot underneath the hard drive is not compatible with mSATA drives. It's for WWAN modules!! Your laptop is not Envy 4 as I thought but Envy 14 equipped by the first generation of the Intel processors. Envy 14-2000 Sandy Bridge series could be BIOS modded to make the miniPCI-e interface working with mSATA drives but Envy 14-1000 series is not possible to modify.

edit: 2.5" 256GB solid state drive is listed as compatible.:)

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.