Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Can I upgrade the memory and the processor and memory on this computer and with what. This is what the laptop came with in October 2011.

HP ENVY 17 customizable Notebook PC

• Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

• 2nd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM (2.0 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 2.9 GHz

• 1GB GDDR5 Radeon(TM) HD 6850M Graphics [HDMI]

• 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)

• 300GB (Solid State Drive Flash Module)

• No Additional Office Software

• 30% OFF! One 6-Cell and One 9-Cell Lithium Ion Battery

• 17.3" diagonal HD+ HP BrightView Infinity LED Display (1600 x 900)

• Blu-ray player & SuperMulti DVD burner

• HP TrueVision HD Webcam

• Intel 802.11a/b/g/n WLAN and Bluetooth(R) with Wireless Display Support

• Backlit Keyboard with numeric keypad

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Page 66 of this guide details how to replace the processor.  This is not an easy task and one I recommend leaving to a PC repair shop for most users.  I cannot guarantee that a processor other than the ones available at the time of order will work in the notebook.  Notebooks are designed with very specific processors in mind and their requirements.  A faster processor may produce more heat than the notebook is designed to handle.  I would recommend sticking with the processors listed on page 66, but your current processor isn't too far from the top and a base .3GHz increase may not provide quite the incrase you may be looking for.  

The i7-2820QM is of a slightly different series and it may work, but I cannot guarantee with 100% that it will work.  It, however, does have the greatest chance of working.

Page 42 of the guide lists the compatible RAM modules for this unit.  However, 4GB PC3 10600 is the highest RAM module listed.  The notebook has two slots and it would take two 4GB modules to come to the 8GB of RAM your system currently has.  It may already be at capacity.  However, it may take up to 16GB.  Users have reported some notebooks listing 8GB as the maximum capacity, but was able to install two 8GB modules without an issue to achieve 16GB of RAM.  I can only say that RAM is at capacity based on the available information, but it may be possible to get more.  Again, it's not guaranteed.  

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

What is the full model name and product number?

NOTE: Do NOTprovide the serial number.  

Also, review this document Erico, a community expert, put together.  It addresses the question of upgrading a notebook and various components.  

Generally speaking, the processor is not a component meant to be upgraded and is not an easy task or guaranteed to work.  

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

HP ENVY 17 customizable Notebook PC.

Product number LM125AV

Reference order # {Personal Information Removed}

Order date: 2011 9 20.

HP Recommended

Page 66 of this guide details how to replace the processor.  This is not an easy task and one I recommend leaving to a PC repair shop for most users.  I cannot guarantee that a processor other than the ones available at the time of order will work in the notebook.  Notebooks are designed with very specific processors in mind and their requirements.  A faster processor may produce more heat than the notebook is designed to handle.  I would recommend sticking with the processors listed on page 66, but your current processor isn't too far from the top and a base .3GHz increase may not provide quite the incrase you may be looking for.  

The i7-2820QM is of a slightly different series and it may work, but I cannot guarantee with 100% that it will work.  It, however, does have the greatest chance of working.

Page 42 of the guide lists the compatible RAM modules for this unit.  However, 4GB PC3 10600 is the highest RAM module listed.  The notebook has two slots and it would take two 4GB modules to come to the 8GB of RAM your system currently has.  It may already be at capacity.  However, it may take up to 16GB.  Users have reported some notebooks listing 8GB as the maximum capacity, but was able to install two 8GB modules without an issue to achieve 16GB of RAM.  I can only say that RAM is at capacity based on the available information, but it may be possible to get more.  Again, it's not guaranteed.  

Signature
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.