Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I just got my HP dv6 6117dx laptop today 🙂

I love this laptop. One thing I love is that it has 4GB of DDR3 memory. Another thing I love about it is that I can upgrade it to a whopping 16 GB.

However, if I want to upgrade, how do I find the maximum speed DDR3 RAM that my computer will support? (i.e. 1333MHz, 1066MHz) I'm not sure how to interpret the readings that CPU-Z gives me; any help on that or alternative methods to find out?

cpuz1.pngcpuz2.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

You can use CPU-Z to check. The very quick way is go to www.crucial.com and enter info of your machine, it will popup the results for you. You can buy RAM from there or use the info to buy elsewhere.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

You can use CPU-Z to check. The very quick way is go to www.crucial.com and enter info of your machine, it will popup the results for you. You can buy RAM from there or use the info to buy elsewhere.

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Well I did post screenshots of CPU-Z in hopes that you could tell me my max supported ram speed in MHz, but I think crucial gives me enough information to purchase RAM. However crucial still does not tell me the maximum speed. From the suggestions the website gave, I assume that it is 1333MHz. Can anyone confirm this?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Because I can not see the images. I can not find your machine, this is the similar machine:

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Pavilion%20dv6-6118nr&Cat=RAM

Regards

BH

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help so far. Another question: since I already have one 4GB module installed (of unknown brand), would an additional 4GB module with the same specifications from crucial work without problems (for a total of 8GB) or do I have to buy an entire 8GB kit from crucial? Will my old ram in slot 1 work with a new ram in slot 2 of a different manufacturer if it has the same specifications?

HP Recommended

Hi,

CPU-Z should show you (sorry I can't see the images) how many slots are being used. Currently it can be (a) 4GB x 1 or (b) 2 GB x 2 (most likely).

• If (a) you only need to buy 1 more 4GB stick to make 8GB
  • If (b) you have to buy 2 x 4GB to make 8GB and throw away 2 x 2GB sticks.

You don't need to buy the whole kit. By the way, buying maximum speed RAM does not mean RAM will run at maximun speed. A racing car can not run its maximum speed say 280km/h if the road (and the laws) is for normal cars which run only say 120km/h.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

Mhm. I just wanted to make sure that my computer had the best ram and that the new stick RAM speed would match the RAM speed of the 4GB stick I have installed right now. 

A new computer will most likely have the highest speed RAM it can support right?

HP Recommended

Hi,

• CPU-Z (SPD tab, max bandwidth) should show you the RAM speed
  • Not really, it depending on the chipset of the motherboard or system board

Regards.

BH

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.