Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I already posted in someone elses thread.

I have a CQ57 Presario. I did the HDD test, Hard Drive Self Test http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00439024

resulting in the error code, 303.I suppose the first test in the routine screens out major problems, like no spin. If the HD fails the quick test, the routine doesn't proceed to the more detailed test. I think.

In any case, an HP support tech named Jewel, said a new drive was on its way. But it never came. On July 11, After calling around, they told me "a hold" was placed on my order because my credit card failed (even though the price was $0).

Now the procedure is to return the whole machine.

So they sent me a box with a label on it. I recieved it.

I returned the whole laptop (without battery) to HP. I sent it FedEx on Friday, July 13.

HP could have called or sent an email telling me the drive wasn't coming. I'm really upset at them for that. And the idea of me having to pay for the drive in advance is disrespectful and inefficient. This means all that I went through last week was useless. I'm back where I started. 

I once had a bad experience with an HP camera, and I ignored the problem bacause I decided the issue was too small (one camera) and the company was too big. If you're working with computers/electronics, you _have_ to deal with HP. That's what I used to think, anyway.

KXH27201‏ order confirmation (if HP is reading)

So how long should I expect to wait to get a laptop returned? And how come HP doesn't send me an e-address. Every email is sent by a non-monitored box. Does anybody have the laptop tech support e-address?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

I do not know how long the repair will take.  It does depend on what is wrong with it.

I have sent units to HP several times over the past years - the wait times vary. 

Here is some of what I have learned:

• Sometimes it all goes extremely well, that is, nothing goes wrong - the unit is fixed in record time and the box comes back in a week or less.
  • Sometimes it takes longer than a week... sometimes it takes two weeks, which is a really long time if you have just one notebook.

Wait until Monday...

Call HP.  Give them your Ticket Number.  Ask: 

• Where is my Notebook today? 
  • Did it arrive? 
  • To which repair facility was it shipped?

If it is not, say in Texas (if you are in the USA).... or wherever you expect it to be by Tuesday...

Call HP... ASK

• Where is my Notebook today? 
  • Did it arrive? 
  • To which repair facility was it shipped?

I hope this helps.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I appriciate the reply, Dragon-Fur. Just haveing someone answer gives some comfort.

I realize I *should* have more than one laptop, and I should be richer, but neither is the case, and I'm really dependant on a computer.

I'm currently using the one at the library in downtown Kansas City, Missouri. I just learned access is limited to 2 hours (even though there are several open machines). The libiarian said if they didn't have the 2-hour policy, "People would be on for ten hours a day". But, of course, this is a different battle.

There doesn't seem to be an online way to check on the status of a computer being repaired. If there is, I can't find it. I suppose I'll have to call them.

HP Recommended

Content Removed.

Member is urged to remain courteous to others on the forum and to remove any of his personal information.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

"There is no "should" in being rich, or in "having stuff"."

Someone "should" be able to read by, say, 7 years old. And there are rough standard expectations for life's other achievements. Sure, when I look at friends who are dead, missing-parts, or in prison, I can be thankful for my condition. But if I gaze in the other direction, and then make an assessment of myself, l should be doing lots better.

I called about my repair  and looked it up. The customer service guy said my estimated time of receiving my laptop back is the 25th. I don't see that on their page, which I pasted it below. It seems to say Scheduled Ship Date: the 18th, which is today. Does this mean HP is shipping it today? Hmmmm... Looking up the FedEx number gives:Estimated delivery Jul 19, 2012 by 3:00 PM

I have to wait at the house if the expected delivery date is tomorrow. It looks that way.

(The first shipment is the box HP sent me.) Maybe I should call them again. I'm tired of that, though.

Tracking information Packaging shipment (to you)

Shipment date:
07/12/2012
Shipment method:
FED-EX NEXT DAY (10:30AM)
Track the packaging:
Product return shipment (to HP) Pick up date: not applicable to your service
Track the shipment to HP: Repaired product shipment
(to you)

Scheduled Ship Date:
07/18/2012

Defective Unit Receive Date:
07/18/2012

Shipping Method:
FED-EX NEXT DAY (AFTERNOON)

Track your shipment:
Order summary Order number:
   Entry date / time:

07/12/2012  3:13pm PT Model number:
A7A54UA , COMPAQ PRESARIO CQ57-439WM NOTEBOOK Serial number:

Replacement serial number: Order type:BOX PLUS PICKUP & REPAIR, 1 DAY SHIPPING Failure : Can't boot from HDD- no operating system Warranty status:
in warranty Service charge:
$0.00 Payment method:
not applicable

{Personal Information Removed}

HP Recommended

Content Removed.

User is reminded to remove his personal information and to remain courteous when making comments on this forum.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I don't care if the public has my shipping info. I don't see what good it would do anyone, and much more detailed imformation about me is already pubically available.

I would suppose changing a hard drive is a quick job. It's really not much harder than changing a battery.

If, indeed, I get the machine back tomorrow, I'll have to say, dispite it's failings, HP customer service gets the job done.

HP Recommended

My laptop arrived back to me via FedEx on the afternoon 18th with the hard drive replaced and Windows installed. They had  taken the install just beyond the first run, leaving an "Owner" account. 

I had previously agreed to a follow up phone call, and it came today. The caller (although I tried, I didn't understand his name) is from Bangalore, India.

I informed him the laptop arrived properly, and Windows and the hard drive work. I thanked him, naturally. He then went through a list of prepared questions like a machine. Eg., May I have your permission to close the ticket? etc. The other questions were equally meaningless. So to add some humanness to the conversation, I encouaged him to move to the US. I told him not to worry about his immigration status as he's slove that once here. He would find lots of people in the same situation.

He didn't respond to any of my advice except to give a nervious laugh here and there. 

And this brings me to my only objection to HP CS. Some of the other HP customer service people I spoke to, perhaps from the Phillipians, didn't communicate well in English. (I re-called to get a differnt person.) And they didn't want me to hang up, almost begging me not to. It seemed like they were saying "I'm in the impoverished 3re world, and this is the only meager job I can find. I must feed my children, so please don't hand up. The masters will fire me." 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.