Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

How to add a 2nd hard drive to HP Pavilion DV7-3165DX, product # WA794UA or WA794UAR.

(1) Order HDD, hard drive, hardware kit. HDD hardware kit includes mounting rails, static shield, screws, rubber isolators, and SATA to motherboard cable. Check your model & Product # for compatibility.

HP Parts HDD hardware kit 517639-001 for DV7-3165DX product# WA794UA and WA794UAR.

(2) Consult Drives - Windows 7 PDF, table of contents, 7 Replacing a drive in the secondary hard drive bay. This will show you how to install a 2nd HDD in a HP DV7.

Drives - Windows 7 PDF

(3) In Windows 7 select Computer, Select the HDD installed, Format (if not already formatted).

(4) If HDD does not show up in Windows 7 under Computer, go to Start (Menu), Search Programs and Files, enter "Computer Management", select Storage, Disk Management (Local), look for the Bay 2 HDD (should show up as Disc 1, Bay 1 HDD should show as Disc 0), Format the 2nd HDD (The one you just installed).

Update: I have the 2nd HDD (WD 1TB) installed, Windows now recognises it after completing the steps I mentioned in step 4, Format with default allocation NTFS 931.51GB free, 118MB used for formatting. Format with default allocation exFAT 931.51GB free, 1MB used for formatting. I selected NTFS format to reduce file fragmenting.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

My solution.

HP Recommended

Update. Have both 1TB drives installed and working well.

HP Parts hard drive hardware kit 517639-001 $67.34 (includes tax & shipping)
WD Scorpio Blue 2.5 in SATA HD model# WD10JPVT-00A1YT0. $106.99 & $97.95 (Best Buy purchased at different stores.)
Bay 11TB: NTFS default HP recovery; 884GB free, 28.6GB used, Recovery disc 18.2GB, HP tools 98.7.
Bay2 1TB: 931.51GB free, 118MB format.

HP Recommended

When i added my 2nd HDD I was ready to get it ordered and shipped, so it would arrive before I arrived home. I also was not sure if it would be offered anywhere else and be 100% compatible. The quality of the factory HP part is good. Since then I found a cheeper source. Newmodeus DV7-3xxx Hard Drive Caddy $27.95 +tax +shipping. Not sure if the quality is the same. If this helps you, post your results and kudos.

HP Recommended
Did not work. Still does not show in disk mgmt or dev Mgr or computer.
HP Recommended
"Disregard previous T-shirt" HD was FUBAR.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.