Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi guys,

I am embarking on the upgrade (from an old Hitachi 300 Gb HDD) to a SSD on my HP Probook 6560b (Intel i5-2410M).

From what I can gather from the MOBO is SATA II 3Gb/s specification.

The Intel Mobile Express Chipset SATA AHVI Controller is installed / enabled in the device manager.

The upgrade will done with a completely new Windows 7 Professional 64 bit installation so there are no OS / data migration-transfer considerations. 

The Laptop will be for normal home/office use.

Questions:

1.    Presumably I can swap out the old HDD with the new SSD and proceed with a standard new Windows installation from the Windows installation disk from the DVD drive?

2.   Does it make any practical compatability differences if the new SSD is SATA III 6Gb/s

3.   Should i expect "old" spec SATA II 3 Gb/s SSDs to be cheaper that SATA III?

4.   I am consdering a SSD size of between 240 Gb and 480/512 Gb - are there any specific best price/performace/reliability recomendations from those kind people here who are more experinced with this?

5.   What other important issues / considerations am I overlooking?

Thanks & regards

HP Recommended

SATA 3 is about twice as fast as SATA 2.  An option is to remove your DVD drive and convert that to an HDD bay.  Your DVD drive can then be converted for external use.  Both converters are about 10€ or $ each.  You would than have SSD for Windows and storage in the mechanical drive.  It is a nice project and fairly straight forward as long as you buy the correct converters. Find some SSD drives and then Google reviews for them as there could be a decent drive at nice price.

HP Recommended

@Another_Steve wrote:

Hi guys,

I am embarking on the upgrade (from an old Hitachi 300 Gb HDD) to a SSD on my HP Probook 6560b (Intel i5-2410M).

From what I can gather from the MOBO is SATA II 3Gb/s specification.

The Intel Mobile Express Chipset SATA AHVI Controller is installed / enabled in the device manager.

The upgrade will done with a completely new Windows 7 Professional 64 bit installation so there are no OS / data migration-transfer considerations. 

The Laptop will be for normal home/office use.

Questions:

1.    Presumably I can swap out the old HDD with the new SSD and proceed with a standard new Windows installation from the Windows installation disk from the DVD drive? Yes, although cloning the original hard disk is simpler and faster. Many people find upgrading and clean install of Windows on an SSD to be a bit difficult. Success  will depend on the level of knowlege you already have and what you are willing to learn. 

2.   Does it make any practical compatability differences if the new SSD is SATA III 6Gb/s No. The SATA specification is downwardly compatible. A SATA600 SSD will perform at SATA300 bandwidth in a system that has a SATA300 disk controller 

3.   Should i expect "old" spec SATA II 3 Gb/s SSDs to be cheaper that SATA III? That will be hit or miss depending on how serious of a shopper you are. 

4.   I am consdering a SSD size of between 240 Gb and 480/512 Gb - are there any specific best price/performace/reliability recomendations from those kind people here who are more experinced with this? Stick with the brands that have the best reviews. No-name SSD brands can be the source of much frustration. Samsung is normally the best price/performance/reliability for non enthusiast upgraders. Intel is on the high side of price and there usually is a flip-flop between Intel and Samsung on performance.

5.   What other important issues / considerations am I overlooking?

Thanks & regards

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thanks erico

re question 1:   I am buying a work laptop - software licencing and data issues mean the current HDD will be wiped.  Hence the new / clean Windows installation.  I have done windows installations to HDD - are their key differences doing it to SSD?

Regards

HP Recommended

I have found no real difference.  You may run into a driver issue but forums on the web usually have relevant answers.

HP Recommended

@Another_Steve wrote:

Thanks erico

re question 1:   I am buying a work laptop - software licencing and data issues mean the current HDD will be wiped.  Hence the new / clean Windows installation.  I have done windows installations to HDD - are their key differences doing it to SSD?

Regards

OK.

Putting in the activation license keys will be the old school method during the OS install.

Usually the SSD manufacturers will have utilities that will help prep the SSD for an OS install. Otherwise you will have to use the SSD prep method with the DiskPart utility that I described at the first post in this thread. Which brand of SSD are you planning on using?

You shuld be able to use the registry key method to ensure that SATA AHCI is working after the installatioon of the operating system. With Windows 7 and a newer gen laptop, this may or may not be needed.   Let us know how it goes.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I have a Pavilion dv6245 (Intel processor) bought in 2007, upgraded to Windows 7 and works fine, but the HDD is almost full. I'm planning on swapping to a 500GB Samsung or Crucial SDD following the straight forward instructions here. Also, with the advent of Windows 10, after migrating with Win7, a clean install should be more beneficial.

Already checked that an AHCI controller is present (identified as Standard), but I forgot to check the boot sequence in the setup.

Regarding the boot sequence, can this be changed before the swap? Or I need the swap first so I can see an SDD in the setup?

Regarding defrag, I have a defrag software; should I uninstall it before migrating?

Any advice regarding my plans is welcomed.

HP Recommended

@JulioBro wrote:

I have a Pavilion dv6245 (Intel processor) bought in 2007, upgraded to Windows 7 and works fine, but the HDD is almost full. I'm planning on swapping to a 500GB Samsung or Crucial SDD following the straight forward instructions here. Also, with the advent of Windows 10, after migrating with Win7, a clean install should be more beneficial. I would consider an upgrade instead of doing a clean install. I have not found any downsides of upgrading to Windows 10 as compared to a clean install. Windows 10 is very different than previous Windows operating systems. Go to the Windows download page and run the media creation tool. Choose an in-place upgrade.

Already checked that an AHCI controller is present (identified as Standard), but I forgot to check the boot sequence in the setup.

Regarding the boot sequence, can this be changed before the swap? Or I need the swap first so I can see an SDD in the setup? It can be changed in the BIOS after the swap and then saved as the default boot device.

Regarding defrag, I have a defrag software; should I uninstall it before migrating? If you have third party defrag software, yes uninstall it. You should never run defrag on an SSD.

Any advice regarding my plans is welcomed.

HP Recommended

Cool, thanks!

About Win10, you're right about upgrading, but I forgot some details. An article in yahoo.com recommends doing an upgrade first, because the system records the microsoft key and other official settings from the previous OS. Once confirmed it works fine, if wanted, you can proceed with a clean install.

HP Recommended

Here is what I did.

Go to search and find win 10 ISO.  Get the windows creation media tool.  Install the tool.  You will be offered " create windows media for another pc" don't worry select this anyway.  A win 10 ISO will download for burning to DVD.  Aout 3GB in size.

Launch win10 install by booting DVD.  Now you can choose between Upgrade or clean install.  Go for Upgrade,  when I did this updates started to download about another 2GB and can take quite some time.  When Upgrade is finished you have win 10 and the instillation media for emergencies, new PC etc.

Next get KeyFinder or Belarc Advisor,I used the former, and find your product key and keep it safe.  Might not work on OEM best you check first.  After there is an option for rolling back to win 7 if you prefer.  I did this and it went perfectly but do so on your own reconnaissance.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.