Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Okay I found Paragon for €14.00 so if all else fails it will be my choice.  Acorn clone software web searches just returns results for touching up digital photographs.  I found some sketchy information for Apricorn, is that what you meant.  I just rememberd recently, while browsing magazines in Tesco, there was a computer publication with Paragon cloning software.  It was a magazine with free software on the DVD so I will go for that, if still in stock.

Are the cables anything unusual?  It seems to me placing the hard drive in an external caddy will work just as well.

HP Recommended

Placing the drive in an external caddy will work, but make sure it is a powered external caddy. Otherwise it is pretty easy to whack the usb ports on the notebook.  

The following image shows what was delivered in one of my  Crucial SSD migration kit orders.  Connect an SSD drive to it, use the cloning software and then remove the original hard disk and replace with the SSD and its done! You were right, it is Apricorn. 

usb-to-sata cable.jpg

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

So here is the new official plan

Step one already achieved, drove around to Tesco bought PC Pro magazine for nine euro with free Paragon Drive Copy 14 Compact download link and coupon.

So the clone is reversed as the SDD is already in the notebook and original HD going into external drive caddy.

Boot from original HD, in external caddy, to Win 8.1

Install paragon

Clone external HD to internal SSD

Boot to internal SSD and Win 8.1

Create Win 8.1 start disk with factory recovery included and see if it will overwrite SSD despite only being 120GB, if not so what.

Create Windows system image of SSD to exteral SATA II 140 GB 2.5 inch drive.

Partition original 1 TB so it can be used for storage while keeping original OS, recovery partition.

Now just to wait for external caddy to arrive, so not this weekend.

Thank you

HP Recommended

Erico wrote, "I said nothing about typing anything in. The key to the OS that was delivered with your notebook's operating system is already in the BIOS."

Erico, yes, the Windows key is encrypted in the BIOS.  It just isn't auto-typed at the Product Key prompt during the Windows installation, at least, not in my experience; YMMV.  If my fresh Windows installation HAD accessed the Windows Product Key from the BIOS and auto-typed it at the Product Key prompt, I would not have entered the discussion or documented the process of typing in the Product Key myself.

But in any case, SOMETHING has to be typed at the Product Key prompt, and if the original Windows Product Key it is not automatically recovered from the BIOS and automatically inserted at the Prodcut Key prompt, the installer has to provide a key FROM SOMEWHERE in order to proceed with the installation.

FOR ME, at least, it is necessary to type a Product Key, either accessed with Belarc Advisor (or similar) from the original Windows installation, or [don't do this] using the Product Key from a Windows CD used on another computer [don't do this].

Erico wrote, "Why have you chosen to go this route instead of the simple method I suggested in the first post in this thread? Cloning from the original disk to an SSD is so much less problematic and less time consuming."

Why have I chosen to go this route?  I DIDN"T.  I was responding to your recent post on page 4:

A fresh install is always the preferred way to go.  :smileyhappy: [/quote]

I was being FACETIOUS when I documented the steps that most fresh installs require, along with the anticipated negative legal consequences of using a Windows Product Key already registered on another computer.

I previously recommended what Acronis Backup 2014 recommended, which worked for me: 

PUT BOTH DRIVES INSIDE A DESKTOP AND BOOT FROM THE CLONING SOFTWARE BOOTABLE MEDIA (CD/DVD/USB stick).

Erico, I'm sorry that we started off on the wrong foot.  I'm grateful for your volunteer service here.  I have learned a lot from your posts; the sections from which I've learned just don't require discussion or clarification.

HP Recommended

Maybe make sure secure keys is enabled

Load secure keys, HP default

Legacy support disabled

Check for enrolled

HP Recommended

@gospelmidi wrote:

Erico wrote, "I said nothing about typing anything in. The key to the OS that was delivered with your notebook's operating system is already in the BIOS."

Erico, yes, the Windows key is encrypted in the BIOS.  It just isn't auto-typed at the Product Key prompt during the Windows installation, at least, not in my experience; YMMV.  If my fresh Windows installation HAD accessed the Windows Product Key from the BIOS and auto-typed it at the Product Key prompt, I would not have entered the discussion or documented the process of typing in the Product Key myself.

But in any case, SOMETHING has to be typed at the Product Key prompt, and if the original Windows Product Key it is not automatically recovered from the BIOS and automatically inserted at the Prodcut Key prompt, the installer has to provide a key FROM SOMEWHERE in order to proceed with the installation.

FOR ME, at least, it is necessary to type a Product Key, either accessed with Belarc Advisor (or similar) from the original Windows installation, or [don't do this] using the Product Key from a Windows CD used on another computer [don't do this].

Erico wrote, "Why have you chosen to go this route instead of the simple method I suggested in the first post in this thread? Cloning from the original disk to an SSD is so much less problematic and less time consuming."

Why have I chosen to go this route?  I DIDN"T.  I was responding to your recent post on page 4:

A fresh install is always the preferred way to go.  :smileyhappy: [/quote]

I was being FACETIOUS when I documented the steps that most fresh installs require, along with the anticipated negative legal consequences of using a Windows Product Key already registered on another computer.

I previously recommended what Acronis Backup 2014 recommended, which worked for me: 

PUT BOTH DRIVES INSIDE A DESKTOP AND BOOT FROM THE CLONING SOFTWARE BOOTABLE MEDIA (CD/DVD/USB stick).

Erico, I'm sorry that we started off on the wrong foot.  I'm grateful for your volunteer service here.  I have learned a lot from your posts; the sections from which I've learned just don't require discussion or clarification.

No worries. I don't mind polite discussion or clarification at all. It's healthy conversation.  🙂

When you perform a Windows install to a disk for a PC or notebook that has the SLIC code already in the BIOS, it should activate automatically when you go online after the installation.

An upgrade to an SSD is kind of a special case. Cloning is definitely better for an SSD upgrade.  I will go to page 4 and edit that comment. Thanks for pointing it out.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

OK at this moment I am going Win 7 64 bit.  EUFI BIOS seems sensitive to change.  I remember when changing boot devices or changing drive letters was fairly fairly safe.  Changing just boot parameters seems to cause a system repair nowadays.

Can only boot Win 8 into safe mode as an external device.  Have to say I am not to fussed about Win 8 on a non touch device.  If I ever get the urge, not until Win 7 support ends, then a Win 8 OEM disk will do the job.  

Thanks again for assistance

HP Recommended

@gospelmidi wrote:

"...keys are stored and coded into the BIOS."

Thank you very much. That's good to know. So...

1) I perform a clean install from a Windows 8 DVD.

2) The Windows installation requires a Product Key.

3) I type the Key from my original DVD, which is already in use elsewhere.

4) As soon as I go online,
    a) I bring down the wrath of M$ Legal on my head. or (preferred)
    b) My DVD Product Key is overwritten with the BIOS Product Key.

So everything is automatic, and I have nothing to worry about?

How can I verify that the Product Key and the Activation Code have
been recovered from the BIOS?

The DVD is just a copy of the operating system. It actually does not have a license key associated with it until one puts  in a key and activates it.

That means using the key that is in the BIOS will allow you to use the key that came with the DVD on a different PC or notebook. 

"How can I verify that the Product Key and the Activation Code have
been recovered from the BIOS?"

Simple. If it activates when online, then it has been done.

Right click on the Windows button, select System. You will see an image like thefollowing one for this HP product loan that says Activated. 🙂

activated.PNG

BTW, it is UEFI , not EUFI.   (Universal extensible firmware interface)  Just so ya know. 

Here is an alternative method of installing a retail version of Windows 8/8.1 on an OEM notebook using an OEM license. The good content of the following video starts at near the halfway point.

HP Recommended

Can I replace my Hard Drive to an SSD on my Pavillion 15z Betas laptop?

Thank you

HP Recommended

@jrmusic83 wrote:

Can I replace my Hard Drive to an SSD on my Pavillion 15z Betas laptop?

Thank you

Read the first post in this thread.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.