Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Laptop: hp pavilion 17-f235nd 

SSD: Samsung 850 pro 256 Gb

DVD SSD replacement using http://hddcaddy.com/en/hp-hdd-caddy/125-hp-pavilion-envy-dv5-dv6-dv7-hdd-caddy.html

Result: drive is working, but after using Samsung data migration software (V2.7) to clone C:\Windows to G:\Windows not using the USB Sata connection but having the SSD installed in the place of my former DVD driver in the HDDcaddy.

Problem: I can't find a way to boot from the new harddisk. In my bios (F0.33) there is no option to change the boot order for different harddrive. I looks like it is only possible to boot from the internal HDD.

I prefer to change the boot order and in this way prevent to open whole my laptop witch is a hell of lot work with this laptop. Is this possible or is my only option; exchange the Seagate orginal HDD to the caddy and put the SSD in the place where the Seagate drive was. Inside the laptop.

If I look for updates the is an bios update (F0.35A) for my laptop but HP assistent don't let me download it. Does this new bios might have an option to boot from different Sata drive. I was expecting an option in my bios to change from Sata-0 to SATA-1.....

Do I need to open whole my laptop or can this be fixed otherwise?

HP Recommended

I am considering a SATA 2nd hard drive to optical caddy.  In effect I will be removing the optical drive and using a caddy to insert an SSD hard drive into the slot where the DVD player usually resides.  I need to know the speed at which the motherboard connector for the DVD can operate.  If it is not SATA III 6 G bits then I will not bother with the above.  Can you direct me to necessary technical information please?  I have the HP 15-p144na pavilion notebook.

HP Recommended
Spoiler
It may be best to migrate using the cable from scratch.  Take hard drive from caddy and migrate using the cable before opening up the laptop completely.  I am very interested in your project and would like to know if you ran any benchmarks to see if the Samsung 850 performed at full potential in the DVD slot.  For example comparisons with Crystal Disk, HD Tune, in comparison to review wen sites and Samsung claimed performance.
HP Recommended

Hi @computaquark ,

Thank you for the inquiry.

When I looked at the specifications for the caddy from the link you provided it does state this is for HP Pavilion & Envy
DV5 DV6 DV7 series (note: not for models like DV6000 or DV9000 ) and does not list your
HP Pavilion Notebook - 17-f235nd (ENERGY STAR).  This may or may not work.

When I checked the maintenance and service guide for your notebook, it does not provide the connection type or the speed.

HP Pavilion 17 Notebook PC HP Pavilion 15 Notebook Maintenance and Service Guide.

Best of Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

I did not provide a link so there maybe some confusion with a similar post just prior to mine.  I have the HP 15-p144na.  Anyway it seems a 9.5 mm caddy is suited to my laptop.  I used the DVD model number SU-208 to source the caddy as not any manufactures list the HP 15-p144na.  It appears the HP EliteBook 2530P 2540p 2560p 2740p have the same DVD slot dimensions.

Anyway in device manager, DVD drive, hardware id's I found the optical drive listed as SATA, after researching the issue on line.  I just wanted to ensure that the controller this DVD is connected too was in SATA III mode, but cannot verify that yet.  I understand the DVD itself will probably not be SATA III.  Anyway the new bigger hard drive can be placed internally if there are any performance issues using the DVD connection.  I will update you as I progress or faulted.

HP Recommended

May I suggest EXTREME CARE when touching the FRAGILE black plastic latch pins that secure the ribbon cables.  IT'S A TRAP.

If you break the pin that secures the keyboard ribbon cable, for example, you now have a USB-keyboard-only laptop.  Just to replace that 1 cent part, HP Service will charge you as much as the original full price of the laptop (+ tax).  HP charges for a new systemboard and installation thereof, just for a plastic pin.  And yes, this  board DID warn me to take it to a professional - someone who has done this replacement many times, and who knows where the land mines are.

It might be worth an $89 service fee just to have a PC repair shop disassemble, physically replace the drive, and reassemble.  Better than two or three hundred to recover from the slightest slip of the fingers.

HP Recommended

Here is a cheap solution to your problem.  Use the DVD drive slot to fit a hard drive in SATA III mode.

Undo one screw and remove DVD drive.

Get DVD model number and buy a converter for about $10.

Fit hard drive and insert, tighten screw.

Using the DVD slot can help to fit SSD leaving original drive as storage.

Swap mechanical drive for SSD and fit another in DVD slot for RAID.

As a rescue for a broken ribbon cable connector.

HP Recommended

Thank you for a very informative post, which I've followed so as to successfully upgrade an Envy DV6t 7300 Quad edition from its 750Gb hybrid Seagate drive to a Samsung Pro 850 512Gb SSD. Other components of note are 8Gb RAM & a 3gen i7 at 2.4GHz.

Again, thank you!

My issue is minor, I suppose, but I'm still trying to achieve the performance that I had hoped for, even if it's already better than what I had. Samsung's magician software has already optimized the OS (Win 8.1), but it's still unhappy that AHCI isn't enabled.

I've posted pictures of pertinent BIOS & Device manager settings here.

Is there anything I can do to enable AHCI? I've already set te registry entries recommended here.

Any further help (THANKS AGAIN!) will be much appreciated!

HP Recommended

Hi, I replaced the factory installed slow 5400rpm HDD in my HP laptop with this SSD (120Gb version) and tried to fresh install Windows 8.1x64. After choosing Language and custom install the physical drive screen (that shows where to install Windows) is empty and the screen says that WIndows installation could not find any drive to install to. It provides the option to Load a driver for the drive, but I assume that an SSD requires no driver. I went to BIOS and there's no option to set SATA (to AHCI or any other option). Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks

HP Recommended

I found AHCI and SATA were both automated.  You need to go into the BIOS and enter legacy as enabled.  Probably need to disable secure keys as well.  Even though Win 8 is not legacy I found HP BIOS is not keen on new Hard Drives.  Other than that maybe you do need a driver from the SSD manufacturer.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.