Question

Top Student
martyh2
Message 1 of 13 (2,882 Views)

Is it possible to rplace the ralink rt 5390 network adaptor for a better one

I have just bought a compaq presario cq57 ,the problem is that the wireless network adapter is rubbish .I have reset the Bt home hub in every configuration possible ,different channels and different security and i am sitting right next to the router but cannot get any speed above 54mps and that fluctuates wildley between 18mps and 54mps .Having read up on this problem it seems to be a known issue with this laptop and was wondering if a replacement card was available to get better speeds upto the or above the 150mps this adapter is supposed to be capable of .The only one i seen listed on HP's site is a a/b/g/n with bluetooth but even that is said to be the wrong one .

Any help or advice will be appreciated

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 13 (2,880 Views)

Re: Is it possible to rplace the ralink rt 5390 network adaptor for a better one

Hi:

What is your full model number?

You need to review the service manual for the list of optional cards, and you need to find out the HP part numbers for them. The service manual has all of this information.

You can only install one of the wireless cards listed in the service manual for your notebook. It also must have the HP part number on it, or it will not work.  Your notebook won't even boot up until the unsupported card is removed.

There may be more than one service manual for the range of cq57's, so I just don't want to post a link to one willy-nilly.

Paul

Top Student
martyh2
Message 3 of 13 (2,879 Views)

Re: Is it possible to rplace the ralink rt 5390 network adaptor for a better one

hi paul thanks for replying

My laptop is a compaq presario cq 57 A7S38EA#abu

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 13 (2,878 Views)

[ Edited ]

You're very welcome.

Your product number indicates that you have a Compaq Presario CQ57-426SA Notebook PC.

Below is the link to the support and driver page for your notebook.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=228&product=5211140&query=A7S38EA&s...=&

While there is no specific manual listed, I found one that must cover your notebook as it contains relevant info matching things like processor specs, etc.

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02948186/c02948186.pdf

Please see chapter 3, page 21 for the list of supported wireless cards with corresponding HP part numbers.

Any one of those should work. If you are looking for a dual band card, the only one I see that is capable of working on both the 2.4 and 5.0 GHz frequencies is the Realtek 8188BC8 802.11a/b/g/n 2×2 WiFi and Bluetooth 3.0+HS Combo Adapter, HP part # 602993-001.

You can order it at the link below, or look elsewhere. Do your search by the part number or you will most likely get a card that won't work.

http://h20141.www2.hp.com/Hpparts/Default.aspx?mscssid=84D5E89A4F864E04AD56B356C6E8CEE8

I will note something that concerns me when I enter the part number of the above card in the HP parts store. It only comes up as a Realtek B/G/N 1x1 card. It does not match the description in the manual.

This is not uncommon. Replacing a wireless card in a HP notebook is oftentimes extremely frustrating.

Good luck.

Paul

Top Student
martyh2
Message 5 of 13 (2,872 Views)

Thanks Paul .

I have researched that part number and a lot of forums do say that it is indeed only a single channel  b/g/n adapter and are at a loss as to why it is listed in the HP catalogue as a dual channel adapter So without a dual channel card available for my laptop i wonder if one of the other adapters would be a better choice and if so can you recomend one that would reach upto 150mbps.I have just had a sqint at the adapter fitted in my laptop and it only has one antenna lead attached ,will this make much difference considering my close proximity to the Home Hub (about 4ft)?

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 6 of 13 (2,869 Views)

Hi:

Is yours only running at 72 MBPS?

I have read folks lamenting that the BCM 4313 only runs at 72 MBPS, and some say it runs at 144 MBPS.

The specs on it from Broadcom aren't helpful.

http://www.broadcom.com/products/Wireless-LAN/802.11-Wireless-LAN-Solutions/BCM4313

Here are some specs on the Atheros 9002WB (only 150 MBPS) which means you will connect at 72 MBPS.

http://www.qca.qualcomm.com/technology/technology.php?nav1=47&product=75

I cannot find specs on the Atheros 9485 and as you can see, there is no option to select it from the list on the right side of the page.

I cannot find any specs on the Realtek cards whatsoever.

Does your notebook come with 2 antenna leads, and only one is not being used?

Anyone you pick is going to be a gamble.

Paul

Top Student
martyh2
Message 7 of 13 (2,868 Views)

mine will only run at 54mbps ,it is supposed to run upto 150mbps ,it is the raylink rt 5390 b/g/n 

only one antenna lead fitted ,i have connected the lead to the second connection on the card and it seems to have stabalized the connection speed but still wont get above 54mbps

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 8 of 13 (2,867 Views)

Hi:

That would seem to indicate to me that your wireless security is not set to WPA2-Personal with AES encryption.

Anything other than that will limit your throughput to 54 MBPS, because you should be getting no less than 65MBPS, and probably more.

Paul

Top Student
martyh2
Message 9 of 13 (2,866 Views)

i've tried that (those where the settings anyway for my sons computer) i have changed channels also but it won't budge above 54mbps and my sons is getting over 200mbps
Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 10 of 13 (2,863 Views)

That is very odd.

I don't know what to tell you then.

One of my N150 cards runs at 65 MBPS, and one at 72 MBPS with the router set on mixed mode (since I have  two G devices that wouldn't work if I set it to N only).

My N300's all connect at 144 MBPS. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation