Question

Student
eawells
Message 1 of 8 (345 Views)
Accepted Solution

Is it worth it to upgrade ram to 8gb - hp pavilion dv7-2043cl?

I am looking for some advice on whether it would be worth it to upgrade the RAM in my laptop from 4gb to the max of 8gb.

I have had this laptop for over 5 years and I use it for gaming. I am just wondering if I will notice a difference in performance by simply upgrading the RAM, or if the processor speed, video card, etc. are or will be outdated in the near future, and if I should just save that money and put it towards a new computer. 

Here is the computer spec page: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c01705991 

Crucial lists the upgrade kit for just under $200.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 8 (337 Views)

Re: Is it worth it to upgrade ram to 8gb - hp pavilion dv7-2043cl?

Hi:

If the 2 x 4 GB DDR2 memory was $60.00 like it was a couple years ago, I would say go for it.

But now that it is $200 and up, I would recommend you put that cash toward a new notebook or a better refurbished model than the one you have, with DDR3 memory.

You will probably notice some performance improvement, but not $200 worth.

Honor Student
tabelljr
Message 3 of 8 (330 Views)

Was looking for you Paul because you seem to know a lot about replacing Windows 8 as an OS on various notebooks, etc. I have (finally) managed to wipe Windows 8 from my Pavilion 15z and now am in the device manager in Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. I am showing several drivers that aren't installed and I am not able to find them anywhere. I am not able to get the notebook online to use any of the built-in searches for drivers because my ethernet controller is currently driverless. hardware IDs in the dropdown menu under Device Manager's details tab are as follows:

PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8136&SUBSYS_2139103C&REV_07

PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8136&SUBSYS_2139103C

PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8136&CC_020000

PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8136&CC_0200

I have tried various RealTek drivers and I can't seem to get anything to work. I imagine I am probably missing all sorts of other drivers as well. I am starting to think maybe I would have been better off suffering with Windows 8 after all. Any way you can help me? 

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 8 (310 Views)

Hi:

I certainly can help you with that driver but I would need to know the full model # of your 15z.

Normally, a z at the end of the first couple #'s means you have a notebook with AMD hardware (processor, chipset, graphics).

With that being written, if I am correct, then you need to first install the AMD chipset driver and reboot.

First file listed.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/raid_windows.aspx#2

For the graphics, run the Radeon Driver Verification Tool at the link below and it should provide a driver for you.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonmob_win7-64.aspx

The network card driver you need can be found at the link below.  3rd one on the list is what you need.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=7&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTy...

I have been testing out the new W8.1 release preview and IMO, it is an acceptible compormise between having W8 look and act exactly like W7, and not changing W8 at all.

I can tell you that if my notebook or desktop PC came with W8.1, I would not downgrade to W7.

I can customize it enough with the new changes to make it work 90-95% like W7.

Honor Student
tabelljr
Message 5 of 8 (298 Views)

Thanks, Paul! Got the interwebz working on the notebook now! Even was able to find drivers that work for the onboard wireless controller so now I don't have to be wired into my router. The only problems I have left at this point are missing driver for what is apparently an AMD USB Controller with these hardware IDs:

PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_7814&SUBSYS_2139103C&REV_01
PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_7814&SUBSYS_2139103C
PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_7814&CC_0C0330
PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_7814&CC_0C03

I used the tools on AMD and wasn't able to get it to work through there. HP hasn't got anything useful on their ftp site either that I can find. This is the last driver I need. 

I am also seeing that windows is not detecting my battery - even though I know it's there and the notebook continues to run on battery power if I disconnect the power cable. I looked into this and saw a recommendation from HP that I reset the BIOS but wouldn't that screw up everything I've done so far since I had to disable the UEFI and enable legacy support and all that just to get this far? I am wondering if maybe I should have just created another partition and run Windows 7 as a virtual machine. Maybe next time I will have those kinds of thought before I wipe all the partitions and reformat my hard drive. :smileyhappy:  Anyway, thanks a bunch for your help to this point - and let me know if you've any ideas on the USB Controller or the battery issue. 

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 6 of 8 (290 Views)

You're very welcome.

Yes, there is a trick for some models to get that USB 3.0 driver to install.

Download the amd chipset driver again. First file listed.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/raid_windows.aspx#2

Then get the free 7-Zip file utility to extract the files from the exe.

http://7-zip.org/

After you extract the files to the folder, you should see the following file structure starting from the beginning, and as you keep clicking.

13-4_vista_win7_win8_32-64_sb\Packages\Drivers\SBDrv\hseries\USB30\amdxhc\W764A

Inside there are 3 files and a folder called 'x64'

In 'x64' there is a single file called 'amdxhc.sys'

Move  'amdxhc.sys' up one directory along with the other 3 files

Then click on the USB 3.0 device needing drivers, click on the driver tab, click on Update Driver.

Select the Browse my computer for softeare and browse all the way down to where the now 4 files are, and hopefully this should work.

Then repeat from the beginning, except start at 

13-4_vista_win7_win8_32-64_sb\Packages\Drivers\SBDrv\hseries\USB30\amdhub\W764A

Honor Student
tabelljr
Message 7 of 8 (283 Views)

once i get down to the W764A folder the only thing inside is the amdhxc.sys there is nothing else in the folder. i moved it up and attempted to install as you described and i get a message that saying that windows found driver software for the device but encountered an error attempting to install it. this is more progress than before so i'll keep poking around and see if i cant get something to work. thanks again for the help! if you know anything about that battery issue too let me know. i'll stop bothering you now :smileyhappy: thanks for your service and i'm tossing $50 to the American Red Cross for your help. 

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 8 of 8 (276 Views)

You're very welcome.

Sorry that didn't work.

Hopefully you can get it sorted out.

Below is the link to the thread where I got that info regarding the USB driver.

Maybe I got something messed up in the procedure.

On most PC's it just installs without any fancy footwork.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-e-g-Windows-8-and-Software/Driver-for-HP-m6-...

The battery issue...That will be hard for me to figure out.

I thank you for your contribution to the American Red Cross!

I'm sure they will appreciate it very much!

Best Regards,

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation