Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Earlier today I was using my laptop with the charger plugged in, turned the laptop off and unplugged the charger. The charger was still plugged into the power socket, after a few minutes of sitting there, there was big bang and a load of smoke from the laptop charger.

I bought this laptop in Feb 2012, so it's over 2 years old and now out of warranty. When something like this happens, is it possible to obtain a replacement charger? I know sometimes laptops and accessories stop working, but I wouldn't expect it to explode! 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hang onto it and call HP. There may be something they can do for you and watch your private message inbox in this Forum for a message. I have done what I can to escalate your inquiry.

Was the laptop damaged otherwise and was there any other damage to person or property?

HP Recommended
Thanks for the very prompt reply, I will give them a ring later this evening and see what they say.

Luckily I had unplugged the charger from the laptop, so laptop is fine. No personal injury, although my heart did beat a lot faster for a few minutes after it went bang!
HP Recommended
Just had a message from support asking for my details so thanks for passing that on.

I was right about no personal injury but wrong about no property damage, theres a 2 inch burn mark on the carpet where the charger went up in smoke 😞
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.