Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have the same problem.  The left hand side hinge went askew and the front and back of the screen came apart at that corner.  I am in Canada and would like to know how to get it repaired.  I thought it was just my computer, but seems this is a common problem which HP should be addressing.  My computer is out of warranty, but I expect it to have a lot longer life than this.

HP Recommended

My daughter's computer had this problem occur twice.  Once when it was under warranty and it just happened again but now it is just 3 months past the warranty period.  HP fixed it for free the first time but now they want to charge my daughter several hundred dollars to fix it again.  It is obviously a design defect that should be subject to recall.  Why else would there be so many posts about the exact same problem occurring again and again.  I called tech support to complain and was on hold for a supervisor for over 30 minutes before they  hung up on me.  It is very disappointing to say the least that HP just doesn't admit the problem and correct it.  I plan on reporting this to some consumer agencies to see if I can get them to do something about this pervasive problem.

HP Recommended
I've had this issue happen twice on the left side hinge! Once last year and once again now. The first time I barely had it for 6 months and still under warranty nut when I called they didn't seem very optimistic about it getting fixed for free. Therefore I went ahead and paid to get it fixed with someone else. As a college student who needs their laptop everyday, I don't have the time or money to send it in to get fixed. If I would have read these forums at the time of the incident I most likely would have sent it in to get fixed for free. Since I was very busy with school I needed a quick fix and when I called HP they did not give me much confidence that they would take responsibility. This time around I am no longer under warranty and I have to pay to get it fixed again! I'm currently having to use it in its current state for school. I am very disappointed in HP! As a student I purchase a laptop expecting that it will work efficiently through out my four years, not break down on me every 6 months/year! If this is a common problem they are having with many models, they need to address the issue before they start losing costumers!
HP Recommended

When I saw enormous number of similar problems, its my strong beleave HP have a design fault. My HP Envy 6, (Sleekbook) broken on left hinge after 10months of normal use. NEVER dropped. I bought my laptop in USA but I moved to Canada. I had 90 days warrenty. Does anyone have idea how to claim to HP and pointing out it is a DESIGN FAULT, HP MUST ACKNOWLEDGE IT !!.

HP Recommended

Re: my post (3 messages ago) - I realized I had had my computer for only 8 months, although the HP site showed it to be out of the 12 month warranty, so I phoned HP and a nice young man (in Mumbai) sorted it out and also got the ball rolling on fixing my problem of the broken hinge,  he put me through to someone who arranged to have a box sent to me so I could return the computer and get it fixed.  That was only yesterday, so hopefully I will have my computer back and repaired very soon. 

HP Recommended

I have a customer's sleekbook 6 with a detached left hinge.

In fact these hinges are just glued to the lid. Crazy. Definitively a design flaw.

It also transpires that (1) it is almost impossible to get spares, the only place you can get some spares is on Ebay at groteque prices. (2)  Their London repair centre have some, but will not supply, unless the lappie is reassembled and sent to them for repair.

If you buy the lid, it comes without the hinge, so even new parts have to be glued.  HP tell me the lid assembly is sealed not designed for dis-assembly!!

Anyways, I have re-glued the hinge, but God knows how long it will last.

PS to get at the hinges, one needs toremove the bottom of the lappie whch comes away quite easily with some 12 screws.  Remove 2 screws from the lid bezel.  Gentle ease the bezel slipping a credit card round (it does have some tacky glue which makes it just a little more difficult.  Remove 2 small screws which hold the hinge covers in place.  THe hinges are in 2 parts; the main section bolted to the base, & the hinge plates  (the part that is glued to the lid).  To separate the hinge from the lid plate, remove the 4 screws.  I suggest here that you tape the various exposed wires so that they dont flap around and get in the way (make a note of which way the wires go round the left hinge). 

Now that you have the hinge plate, you could try re-gluing, but obviuosly its got to be a special "metal" epoxy.

Re-assemble in reverse order

Good luck.

HP Recommended

Dear Everyone,

I'm based in London, UK and have an HP DV6-6B09SA and just encounted the broken left hinge problem. The case on the top of the laptop seems to be falling apart and I have to be really careful now when closing it. I literally just noticed this problem the other day and know I haven't dropped the laptop and am super careful with it.  I'm a student and now terrified I'm going to lose all of my work. Of course, my laptop is just over one year old and just out of warranty.

Does anyone know how much HP will charge to get this problem fixed in the UK? Also, what is the process for this?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Call In-Warranty & Out-of-Warranty
0844 369 0369

HP have been quite good about fixing the hinge problem on out-of-warranty laptops.  Be firm and if necessary refer to sale of goods act Have yr receipt or CC statement to hand and where you bought it.

back-up yr data before you send back.

Alternatively if the above doesn't work go back to where you bought it explain the issue, and tell them you wish to make a claim under the sale of goods act - usually works (if what you say is correrct).

Good luck

HP Recommended

I am livid. I have this hinge issue that everyone here is having. My laptop is out of warranty but is only 14 months old. I dont travel with it, dont take it out of home (I work from home) and i just spent 45mns being dicked around by HP support telling me that because i used the laptop, it is normal that the hinge failed and that they can repair it for $179+taxes (with a loyal customer discount..). 

I thought HP stood by its product. A hinge that fails after 13 months is not due to usage, it's due to poorly engineering or manufacturing. And the customer should not have to pay 30% of the value of the laptop to have it fixed.

Not only that, but to be taken for a fool by their support is ridiculous. 

HP Recommended

Well, I thought it was good when HP sent me a box and I returned my sleekbook to have the hinge repaired, February 2.

BUT, due to parts being on back order from the Phillipines, I am still waiting to get it back.  The previous date they gave me was Feb 28, but now it's been put back to March 14, and I'm not too optimistic about that date!  Surely HP can gee up their parts providers so we get better service than this,  I've been without my laptop for over a month now.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.