Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I've just bought a new HP ProBook 470 G1 with Windows 7 installed and I wanted to upgrade the RAM, so I got an extra 4GB RAM chip (Corsair Vengeance). I think I've managed to fit it absolutely fine (it looks exactly the same in the mountings as the other 4GB chip that's in beneath it and I was careful not to touch the components), but it's saying that "The system detected that an unsupported DDR3 memory type is installed" and then quotes the error code in the subject line above. What's even weirder though is that I hit continue anyway and go into my computer's property's and it's saying it's now got 8GB of RAM, suggesting that it's working fine but it keeps running the error code every time I boot up. On top of that both the Graphics card and the original RAM are quoted on the specs as being DDR3. Two questions:

1) Is the RAM working or not if it's saying it's got it, but it's running the error code every time?

2) How do I fix it?

PS if it helps I'm contemplating upgrading to Windows 8 as it was included with the laptop, would that make a difference?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

It is the low voltage memory 1.35V.

The chip you got is 1.5V and the original chip in the notebook is 1.35V.

That is what the L stands for at the end of the part number (and shows on the G.Skill memory chip # I posted).

Model F3-1600C11S-4GSL            

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Welcome DS.

What are the speeds of the 2 sticks of memory???

REO

HP Recommended

DS.

Memory modules (PC3L-12800, 1600-MHz, DDR3L)

8-GB 693374-001

4-GB 691740-001

2-GB 691739-001

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.BINARYPORTLET/public/kb/docDisplay/resource.proc...

Page 19.

Let me know on the speed.

REO

HP Recommended

The new Corsair RAM I put in was 1600mhz, and the after some searching for the model number of the pre-installed Samsung RAM online I've got "DDR3-1600 (800Mhz@ CL=11, tRCD=11, tRP=11)". I'm assuming that means it's 800Mhz (unless the 1600 in "DDR3-1600" means something here?)

HP Recommended

Hi:

You need DDRL memory, not DDR3.

You have mixed voltages which is why the PC is burping.

Do yourself a favor and get this memory for your PC...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231697

HP Recommended

Great thanks, looking at the memory you've suggested though that says DDR3 in the product description as well?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

It is the low voltage memory 1.35V.

The chip you got is 1.5V and the original chip in the notebook is 1.35V.

That is what the L stands for at the end of the part number (and shows on the G.Skill memory chip # I posted).

Model F3-1600C11S-4GSL            

HP Recommended

Ok I understand, thank you!

HP Recommended

Just a quick thought, will mixing voltages like this have any lasting long term effect on my computer or will it just drain the power slightly quicker?

HP Recommended

I don't think you wrecked anything.

I would just remove the unsupported memory module.

I am not a PC repair tech by trade or training, but you may be placing too high a demand on the system board which is designed to run memory at a certain voltage and you are asking it to deliver more power than it was designed for.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.