Question

Tutor
Canito1963
Message 1 of 3 (5,130 Views)

My optical drive- HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW CT10L, will not read DVD or CD

The DVD/CD optic stops working. Why? It recognize the Blu-Ray disk (BD). I was using it for a while and sudenly stop working.

Any recommendations. Troubleshoot test said is working fine and is no true.  I try different disk including the ones I was just working with and it won.t recognize the media inserted. Except the BD.

Mario

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 3 (5,128 Views)

Re: My optical drive- HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW CT10L, will not read DVD or CD

Hi Mario,

First, try the automated fixit from Microsoft on the link below.

Windows 7

Vista

Check if the drive will now read CDs and DVDs.

If it still doesn't, click the Start Menu, open All Programs, open Accessories, right click the Command Prompt and select 'Run as Administrator'.  In to the prompt type the following command and hit enter.

sfc /scannow                 ( note that there is a space between sfc and the / )

Let the process complete, then type exit and hit enter. 

Next, click the Start Menu, open the Control Panel and click on Device Manager.  Next click to open DVD/CD-ROM Drives.  Right click the drive and select uninstall.  Do not delete drivers if asked.  When the device has uninstalled click on the 'Scan for Hardware Changes' icon ( usually just below Help on the toolbar ).  Let windows reinstall the drive and see if it now reads CDs and DVDs.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Student
rfilyer
Message 3 of 3 (4,274 Views)

Re: My optical drive- HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW CT10L, will not read DVD or CD

Finally

Had this same issue for ages.

I went through everything.  tried new drivers, fixing registry, hp fixit tools, microsoft fixit tools....  EVERYTHING

guess what fixed it?

Taking my T-Shirt to the laser lenses inside the drive and giving them a good clean.  they didnt look dirty.

It was ImgBurn that led me to the discovery.  I downloaded it and was watching its log as it tried to read the disk in the drive.  I noticed that it could not find a reference Sector on the disk...  so I thought that maybe the disks were all scratched, or that it was smudged or something.  cleaned all the disks, no luck

so I cleaned the laser.

guess what, every disk I have put in since has fixed the issue.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!  WORKED FOR ME!

~solved~

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation