Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My dv7 quad came with the intel centrino wireless n 1030. I tried to update it to the intel n 6235 and it wont boot up and tells me this module is not compatible. i have a picture and will try to upload.

1. iam looking for a wireless card that is dual band and 300mbps. if anyone can help my find this that will work that would be great.HP STARTUP ERROR WITH A DIFFERENT WIRELESS CARD

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I actually found a wireless card that works and has the 2.4 and 5ghz....

Ralink RT3592 802.11a/b/g/n 2x2 WiFi Adapter

I ordered it and got it and currently have been using it for almost a year now.. love this card and love my 5ghz

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

I don't know why nobody has replied. I guess HP is ducking the issue/explanation as to why they hardwired some of their systems not be upgradeable. I thought only apple did this kind of thing. Sorry I couldn't help, I'm looking for the same solution...

HP Recommended

So am I...... HP lock the BIOS so that only certain cards will work. I believe the only solution is to mod the BIOS to support the card. Not something you want to take doing lightly....

😐

HP Recommended

I was able to use the card in a Toshiba Laptop another family member had, so I didn't have to send it back. That only further highlights the fact that the problem is HP centered. We shouldn't have to bother with trying to mod the BIOS or other work arounds. Surely this an easy fix on HP's part? I really enjoy my HP equipment and have a couple of their computers and printers, but this problem has encouraged me to look elsewhere when upgrading to new systems. 

I wonder if anybody up there is even listening to their customers?

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi Raskolnyki,

I understand that you are wanting to upgrade your wireless card in your DV7 Quad. To be able to assist you further with this I would need to know the full model number of your notebook. I have included a link here for 'How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?'.

Thank you.

I worked on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for your interest in helping me (us) resolve this issue. If you can help me resolve this you will have help hundreds of your customers in the process.

The computer I am looking to upgrade the wireless capabilities for is a Pavilion DV7-4087 CL with and Intel I5 Core. I am using Windows 7 64 bit.  The current wireless card installed is WLAN 112BNHMW. I would like to be able to at least use the 5 gig band of my Asus Router...

Thank you in advance, and please let me know if you require any additional information.

Regards...

@Lil_Lisa27 wrote:

Hi Raskolnyki,

I understand that you are wanting to upgrade your wireless card in your DV7 Quad. To be able to assist you further with this I would need to know the full model number of your notebook. I have included a link here for 'How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?'.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi Raskolnyki,

With regards to upgrading your wireless module, according to the Maintenance and Service there is only one WLAN Modules that is definitively compatible: Broadcom 4322. The other option that you may want to consider would be getting a USB 5.0 Ghz network adapter.

One other option that you can try with the module you already purchased is update your BIOS (http://goo.gl/yUzh9B) or reset the BIOS to its defaults.

Please let me know if this resolves your issue, thank you.

I worked on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I clicked the link you provided regarding the Bios. I already have the version (F.29) installed. I do not want to use an external dongle as that essentially brings the functionality and convenience of using my laptop back 10 years. Sorta like adding an external floppy drives to computers in the old days, or the God forsaken Ipads nowadays.  Taking a step backwards to say the least.

In regards to the Broadcomm 4322, which particular part number are you referring to? A quick search reveals this is old technology that rarely works with Windows 7 and is replete with problems. Most people only get it to work with Windows XP, and only marginal at best. A search within HP own forums brings up similar comments.

It seems users of Pavilion DV7's and DV6's are locked out of new technology even though our computers are only a couple of years old. Not something I was aware of, or expected when I purchased two top end HP Laptops at the time.

Thanks for your replies, but it seems I'm still in the same boat as everyone else with these products. Surely there has to be a way for HP to allow their customers to upgrade to new technology? I can't believe HP deliberately relegated a large swath of their products to planned obsolescence? As I said before, this is a specific widespread problem as described in Amazon product reviews, HP forums, a a multitude of other technical help sites.

I'm a big spender when it comes to computers, as many people are. This doesn't help your cause.

Regards...

HP Recommended
Wow it took over a year to get some answers...
HP Recommended

I guess I hurt their feelings, because they haven't replied back. I wasn't trying to be mean, but I guess I came off as such due to frustration. I like my HP Laptops, but I am not happy they've locked out particular upgrade paths. If I had wanted an Apple (locked in time) capsule I would have purchased one. The whole idea of open architecture is "OPEN". Allow your computers to work with new devices and products even if you didn't design or make them. From what I understand, HP locks these things out in the BIOS.

I guess I was hoping against hopes that I would receive some sort of resolution where others have failed. The thing is, I placed the wireless device in my sons low end Toshiba and it worked. Oh well...c'est la vie!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.