Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a DV7 Entertainment PC (Dv7-2273cl). I recently had to change out the motherboard, and learned in doing so that I might also be able to upgrade the CPU. In looking in the service manual, the allowed CPUs include a CPU that I just bought on Ebay (Q9100). Both the Q9100 and my original T6600 CPUs are both listed in the service manual, so I would think the Q9100 would work in my computer.

I did install the new CPU and it fit in perfectly. But once I got everything put back together, the computer would start up, but I would get blink codes by the capslock and above the numeric keypad of a single blink separated by 3 seconds, which in looking around seems to be the CPU won't work code.

So is there a way to get this CPU to work? It's a quad core vs a dual core. Do I need to flash the bios to a higher version beforehand to get this to work? The bootup won't proceed far enough to get me to any kind of setup screen or anything that might allow me to get this to work.

I would of course love to upgrade from a dual core to a quad core.

Any help would be most appreciated. When I went back to my old CPU, I couldn't get the computer to start and had to dismantle it and put it all back together again for it to work, so I don't want to tinker around too much into the computer unless I have a pretty sure route to move forward with.

Thanks,

Jon Fernandez

By the way, I was able to find out how to look up my current BIOS version which is this:

F.46 8/25/2011

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If that is the case I would avoid the CPU upgrade entirely....too much chance of bricking it. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Here is the Manual:

Manual

The latest BIOS is F.46:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-98494-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...

You have it.

I personally would have a T9600 or T9800 before I would have the Core2 Quad processors but the Q9100 should work. You can try again but frankly it does get tedious to keep taking it apart and every time you run the risk of a mistake that kills it. Just make sure you have the CPU lock in the correct position and the CPU is fully seated. You have seen that sometimes you can put it together, no dice, take it apart and put it together again and then it works. It can be frustrating.

HP Recommended

Okay, thanks for the response. As you say, I should maybe just try it one more time. That you feel it should work makes me think I should give it another whirl. Spooky as this is my primary and only work computer.

JF

HP Recommended

If that is the case I would avoid the CPU upgrade entirely....too much chance of bricking it. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response. I of course "thought" I locked the CPU in before I put the whole thing back together, but did I miss one step in the process, or the CPU wasn't fully seated well - that's possible. I think when I pick up a new computer, I will try this upgrade again. But I'm going to hold off for the moment as this is my one and only work computer.

By the way, I don't think OS version matters here, as it doesn't get past the POST process. I will though add as much information as I can, though I thought the full model number of my computer which I stated was pretty much what was needed.

Thanks though for your response.

JF

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.