Question

Top Student
Rovignese
Message 1 of 5 (353 Views)
Accepted Solution

Pavilion dv7, upgrade memory with faster modules

[ Edited ]

Hi,

can PC10666 memory modules be used to upgrade  Pavilion dv7 3170em (WC152EA)?

It currently has 2x2GB modules running at 533 MHz, will replace both modules.

I'm planning to replace them with KINGSTON ValueRAM or Transcend JM1333KSN-4G 4GB, 667 MHz modules.

Can those modules be used, i.e. can they downlclock to 533 MHz?

TIA,

Davor

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 5 (336 Views)

Re: Pavilion dv7, upgrade memory with faster modules

[ Edited ]

Only 533Mhz modules that are guaranteed to be compatible by the manufacturer/vendor are worth spending your money on.

The following configurations are supported

Supports up to 8 GB of system RAM in the following configurations:
■ 8192-MB total system memory (4096 MB × 2, dual-channel)
■ 6144-MB total system memory (2048 MB × 1 + 4096 MB × 1)
■ 4096-MB total system memory (2048 × 2, dual-channel)
■ 3072-MB total system memory (2048 × 1024)
■ 2048-MB total system memory (1024 × 2, dual-channel)
■ 2048-MB total system memory (2048 × 1)
■ 1024-MB total system memory (1024 × 1)

Installing any other type of memory modules, 667 MHz memory modules included,  is a gamble.

Your results are guaranteed with HP OEM memory modules. I have not seen any Transcend or Kingston memory modules listed as being compatible. It appears that your best option would be to search online for dv7-3170em compatible memory modules or take your notebook with you to a store that carries notebook upgrade memory modules.   

I did find some upgrade memory using the keywords I suggested. Here is the link.

****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
Rovignese
Message 3 of 5 (324 Views)

Thanks Erico,

I'm aware that only safe bet would be to use 533 listed compatible modules, but as there is poor offer here of 533 modules, and are more expensive than 667 ones, I was wandering if I could use 667 modules at all.

Did try google before to see if there is mention of this combination, but with no luck.

I was hoping that someone did try that combination already.

Regards,

Davor

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 5 (315 Views)

Unfortunately, unless you know how to mod the BIOS that your notebook has installed, you are stuck with 533 Mhz memory modules. What you must understand is that memory modules have different voltage and timing requirements. Memory modules that are guaranteed to be compatible fall within a very narrow range of presets written into the BIOS firmware.  

BIOS firmware in OEM PCs and notebooks are not written to allow flexibility for a practical reason. That reason is, quite frankly, to protect the average PC or notebook owner from themselves and in an ideal world,  keep the device operating without problems.

A motherboard like the ASUS Crosshair IV in my desktop PC is a gaming motherboard and is a different beast. There is far more flexibility and a greater range of changes I can make. There is an incredibly long list of CPUs that I can install, not just a few. There are a  great number of memory modules of different speeds that I can install. I also have access to a long list of primary and secondary timings and voltages that I can adjust to make the different memory modules work timings. If I install a module with a higher bandwidth  and adjust the Vdimm (voltage that the module requires) to increase the speed of the module or bus timings and by doing that, exceed the manufacturer's specs, there can be drastic consequences. The consequence can be non functional memory modules or non functional memory module slots.  

What you can adjust in BIOS to make memory modules work in your notebook: nothing

What I can adjust to attempt  to make non recommended memory modules work in my Desktop PC BIOS:  (the following list is not even 1/5 of the adjustable settings available) There is indeed an Auto setting for almost all of these. 

Vdimm 

FSB:smileyvery-happy:RAM ratio

CAS Latency

RAS to CAS Delay

RAS Precharge

Cycle time

Bank Cycle Time

Command Rate

DRAM Idle Timer

Row to Column timing

****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
Rovignese
Message 5 of 5 (250 Views)

[ Edited ]

In the end, I found 533 MHz modules at a decent price, so I bought two 4GB G.Skill F3-8500CL7 modules. Did some burn-in testing, everything works OK.

Regards,

Davor

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation