Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have just bought a HP Pavilion g6-2212sa, running Windows 8, with Ralink RT5390R adapter. Not happy with the connectivity at all. I have a 300mbps router with 50mb subscription. I can only connect at 72mbps and at best 20mb download (speedtest.net). On my old Dell I had 270 commection with 48mb download. I have gone through the router settings and the adapter with no luck. What would be an upgrade 300mbps adapter to replace ralink? Would be grateful for any help please.

48 REPLIES 48
HP Recommended

Hello jbls11089,

Take a look at this document and let me know if the troubleshooting steps help to resolve your issue.

Your Maintenance and Service Guide will provide any replacement parts and such.

Good luck!

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

Thanks for replying so quickly. I have tried the trouleshooting steps and it made no improvement. I looked at the Maintenance and service guide but am not sure which adapter would be compatible with my system, I am looking preferably for a dual band 300mbps module with bluetooth. Please can you advise.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

There is a section of compatible upgraded parts in the Maintenance and Service Guide.  You may have to search these suggestions individually in order to find out what the specs are, but everything you are asking, is located in the Maintenance and Service Guide.

Good luck!

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

you are not alone. I gor Hp pavilion notebook  g6-2382sa week ago which has the same wi-fi adapter.

And i have the same problem like you. I have a fibre bradband 60Mb speed internet connection. My main pc connected via cable give me all 60Mb speed. An old packard bell laptop gives around 60Mb speed too. But my new hap laptop is able to get the max from 14 to 20 Mb of speed. I have to say this wi-fi card is just a peace of **bleep** whats the way hp makes laptops cheap with some high end hardware like cpu ram modules and so on.

HP Recommended

Hi all, 

I would like to suggest checking the Wireless antenna cables are snuggly connected. They should snap on and off. It will look similar to the picture below. It should be a black cable and a white cable. Just pull the gold cap directly upward and push it directly back downward. You should feel a distinct snap. Do this with both the black and the white cable. Then try your speed again. 

WirelessAntennaCable.jpg

HP Recommended

I dont think its going to make speed faster :generic:  laptop close to wireless router has full signal strenght and speed is the same up to 20Mb. I got a play with routers settings. No changes. Theris one more thing if any more device in the house is using b or g waves then n adapter is not working properly.

HP Recommended

ok as i have said before if any more devices in the house or office are using G mode N mode is not gona work. I have disabled and turned of all devices in my house such as phones,  ps3, printer and an old laptop. Restarted my router, N mode is enabled. Ok connected my new  g6 laptop to internet and the most interesting thing is that router log shows me g mode connection not n mode. So again two questions: 1- or router is not working as it should or 2- Ralink is not working as it should. And i have an answer ! As my old packard bell laptop worked good in n mode with my router  mean that ralink is not working in N mode . Why??????

HP Recommended

ok i got problem is sloved .

1--- I took of ralink card from my laptop and uninstaled ralink drivers. 

2---- Instaled back ralink card to pc and turned pc on.

3 ----windows 8 instaled nessery drivers to get card wotking itself.

4 ------wow my internet connection is n mode speed 65Mbps as my plan is 60Mb im getting now form 45 to 60

that is perfect to me and it means all is working fine now.

HP Recommended

So reseating the card and reinstalling drivers solved the problem.

Well done! Glad you got it fixed.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.