Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Zbook 15 G2
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi all,

My new "HP Zbook 15 G2 Mobile Workstation" is equipped with a M.2 slot and space for modules of 22x60 mm size.

Based on the information of the Technical Whitepaper for the "HP Zbook 15 G2 Mobile Workstation" (Version from February 2015), I was assuming that my notebook is compatible to M.2 2260 SSD modules with PCIe-based or SATA-based interface.

Quote from Technical Whitepaper for the "HP Zbook 15 G2 Mobile Workstation" (Version from February 2015), page 5, lines 5-6:

"There is one internal M.2 PCIe/SATA slot. This slot is auto-configured at power up to be a PCIe or SATA slot depending on the type of card installed. M.2 slot supports 2260 SSD (Solid State Drive)."

Lately I have re-downloaded the Technical Whitepaper for the "HP Zbook 15 G2 Mobile Workstation" from the HP website:

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=4AA5-4883ENW

The current version of the document is from March 2015 and it was updated in the relevant section:

Quote from Technical Whitepaper for the "HP Zbook 15 G2 Mobile Workstation" (Version from March 2015), page 5, lines 5-6:

"There is one internal M.2 PCIe slot. This slot is auto-configured at power up to be a PCIe slot depending on the type of card installed. M.2 slot supports 2260 SSD (Solid State Drive)."

Can someone from HP please confirm that the HP ZBook G2 15 / 17 models support only M.2 2260 SSD modules with PCIe-based interface and that SATA-based modules are currently not supported?

Also, It would be great if someone from HP could comment on which M.2 SSD upgrade options this leaves for interested users. From what I have found out in the internet, there is only one compatible module on the market, which is available from HP or HP resellers only:

HP Z Turbo Drive, M.2 SSD 2260 PCIe 2.0x2, 256 GB

HP spare part number: 795955-001

HP part number: L3M57AA

list price approx 600-700 USD

Product page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/mpc/oas/product-detail.html?oid=7633917

Pricing example: http://www.dectrader.com/HP-795955-001-New-SSD-256GB-M2-PCIe-2x2.html

Several sources in the internet state that this module is identical to "SanDisk A110 256GB M.2 PCIe SSD, SD6PP4M-256G". However, this SanDisk module is either sold out or available to OEMs only (i.e. in this case HP) and not to the consumer market:

Quote from: http://www.custompcreview.com/reviews/sandisk-a110-256gb-m2-pcie-ssd-review/20287/

"Now the SanDisk A110 is really one of SanDisk’s first entries into the M.2 PCIe SSD space although it’ll be only available to OEMs at this time. SanDisk has not indicated that it’ll be available for the consumer market although I’m sure some iteration of the drive will be available later on when M.2 PCIe becomes more mainstream."

Is there any possibility and plan from HP to add suport for SATA-based M.2 SSD modules via BIOS upgrade in future? If not, I would wonder why it was initially advertised to support both, PCIe-based and SATA-based SSD modules in the M.2 slot ...

Thanks,

MM679

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@MM679

HP doesn't have an official presence on this forum other than for administration and moderation. The assistance that you receive is mainly from volunteers.

I'll ask HP to review your post.

I remember not to long ago seeing a similar post where someone had purchased the Samsung SSD card and had issues getting it to work.  It's a good reason to use what the manufacturer has listed on the QVL which is generally not available by HP for public viewing.

--------------------------------------------------------

M.2 operation from my experience will depend on whether the m.2 SSD has it's own controller and/or depends on the Intel SATA controller for function along with the appropriate BIOS support.  The Plextor m.2 SSD that I use will function in the m.2 slot or the PCI-E slot if I use an adapter card.  Booting support is either UEFI or BIOS with the Plextor. This may not help you but at lease you will have a little more background about m.2 operation.

PCI-E x2 version 2 is not all that exciting.  PCI-E x4 version 2 or PCI-E x4 version 3 is where the action is today.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

@Big_Dave

Thanks for your post and for asking HP to review mine.

Finding clear information about which affordable M.2 SSD modules are compatible to my "HP Zbook 15 G2" was more difficult than I thought, so I was hoping that my post on this HP forum will shed some light on the issue.

Due to the upcoming #HPExpertDay I thought that it is a good opportunity to raise my question now, as it will give me a chance "to talk directly with the people who designed and made the HP products".

HP Recommended

@MM679

You may get  clarification but I don't think you will like the answer.

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

@Big_Dave

Seems like I did not even get clarification.

#HPExpertDay 2015 is over and no expert from HP answered my questions. :indifferent:

HP Recommended

@MM679

I am a bit surprised that HP has responded.  HP must have specific design requirements for SSD functionality in the ZBooks since different SSD capacities can be configured with ZBook.

HP Recommended

@Big_Dave

Not sure if you got me right, but HP did not repond yet ...

The different SSD capacities that can be configured with ZBook might be simply SSD in 2.5" form factor which replace the hard drive. The intention of this thread was to clarify which SSD drives can be operated in the M.2 slot of the  ZBook G2 15 / 17 models, in addition to an existing 2.5" hard drive (or SSD)

HP Recommended

@MM679

The HP sales web site the last that I checked had as options for different storage capacities.  You might want to analyze the differences between the HP Zbook models and perhaps you will be able to answer you own questions.

If you are expecting HP to cough up a "white  list"  on this forum then don't hold your breath.

HP Recommended

hi,

yes zbook 15 & 17 G2 supports only PCI express version of M.2 SSDs

to make it work get 22x60 size

HP Recommended

At this HP site the SSD drive is for sale (at last!): http://www8.hp.com/us/en/mpc/oas/product-detail.html?oid=7633917#!tab=features but unfortunately, it costs silly money.

At this site: http://www.laptopultra.com/guide/hp-zbook-15u-g2-disassembly-ssd-ram-hdd-upgrade-guide/ one of the pictures shows the SSD drive.  If you zoom into it, it shows that the SSD drive is a SANDisk A110 M2 2260 256Gb

Hope that this helps you.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.