Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
hp spectre x360 - 13-4001ns
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I want to upgrade my new  HP spectre x360 - 13-4001ns 128GB SSD.

Is it possible to upgrade the SSD drive in this ultrabook?

How can I open the case?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please try page #30 of the following manual:

http://www.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04055643.pdf

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

38 REPLIES 38
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please try page #30 of the following manual:

http://www.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04055643.pdf

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I guess this upgrade will jeopardize the warranty...

HP Recommended

Probably, but I upgraded my X360 13-4003dx from 256GB to a Samsung XP941 512GB. I did not want the higher resolution screen in the model that came with a 512GB SSD. Since I had no way to clone the existing M.2 SSD I used a USB recovry drive, worked well.

HP Recommended

Hi, 

I would like to upgrade my ssd too for a 250G.

What kind of ssd do you suggest ?

I didnt find any information about the socket. Is it a M.2 (Socket 3) - SATA 6Gb/s or  M.2 (Socket 3) - Mode PCI-E ??

Thanks !

HP Recommended

The 256GB drive I replaced was an ADATA AXNS381E-256GM-8 so we know that will work. It had 2 slots in the pins. And it appears to be made specifically for HP. The Samsung XP941 Series MZHPU512HCGL-00004(0) M.2 512GB PCIe Gen2 5Gb/s up to 4 lanes MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - OEM I used only had one slot. The socket had no dividers that I could see. The Samsung XP941's are rated much higher than the Adata and are currently the fastest from what research I did. Bad part is the 512GB has gone up about $200 since I bought mine.

I don't know what the differences are in M.2 sockets are but the above info should help. 

HP Recommended

I assume you used a torx size T5 driver to remove the screws on the back.

HP Recommended

I was wondering what the fastest ssd is that is compatible with the x360? 

Is it possible to use a faster mini pci/e ssd instead of the existing msata?

HP Recommended

Yes, they are T5.

HP Recommended

The existing SSD is M.2, not msata which are larger. The M.2 socket supports both PCIe and SATA M2 as per the Service manual which is now on the support website.

I used the much faster Samsung XP941. The XP941 has been replaced by the newer Samsung SM951. Currently both are still available but the XP941 is in short supply and the price has gone up $210 since I bought mine so the SM951 is your best bet.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.