Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion g6-2006ax
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I want to upgrade from a HDD to a SSD, is it possible with my notebook and if so which SSD's would be compatible? Is there any read / write speed limitations to consider etc? 

here's the link for the my notebooks product specifications

I have searched google using many different phrases but haven't been able get any confirmation for this, the best I found was a manual under user guides for the g6-2006ax on the HP website, HP Pavilion g6 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide  that labels the HDD bay a "solid-state drive (SSD)/hard drive bay" (page 25)  but when i continue to read on it only lists various Intel CPU's (page 31)  while my notebook has an AMD A6-4400M CPU, when i read further down the list to the hard drives it list only various HDD's with no mention of SSD's (page 32)  through out the whole .PDF except in the labeling of the HDD bay so this has left me very unsure and confused.

If someone could shed some light on this for me it would be greatly appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Here is the actual Manual for your laptop:

Manual

Just ignore the memory replacement here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbeBffNjyg

You can just replace the mechanical hard drive with a 2.5 inch wide and 7 or 9.5 mm thick laptop SATA SSD. Don't worry about transfer speeds. The newest, fastest ones will downclock to your SATA bus max speed. It will still be lightning fast compared to what you have. Best SSD on the market is a Samsung 850 Evo. It is what I have in my own laptop. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4P02T78963&cm_re=850_evo-_-20-147-373-_-Product

You don't need to worry about BIOS settings or anything else. Just treat the SSD as a hard drive. If you get a large enough SSD we can help you just clone the old drive to the SSD or we can walk you through any of several ways to get an operating system, drivers and programs onto the SSD. 

if this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Here is the actual Manual for your laptop:

Manual

Just ignore the memory replacement here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbeBffNjyg

You can just replace the mechanical hard drive with a 2.5 inch wide and 7 or 9.5 mm thick laptop SATA SSD. Don't worry about transfer speeds. The newest, fastest ones will downclock to your SATA bus max speed. It will still be lightning fast compared to what you have. Best SSD on the market is a Samsung 850 Evo. It is what I have in my own laptop. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4P02T78963&cm_re=850_evo-_-20-147-373-_-Product

You don't need to worry about BIOS settings or anything else. Just treat the SSD as a hard drive. If you get a large enough SSD we can help you just clone the old drive to the SSD or we can walk you through any of several ways to get an operating system, drivers and programs onto the SSD. 

if this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Hi Huffer,

First off thank you very much for your answer it's a great help. 

I just have one more question if I may, I also plan to do these upgrades:

- Processor: AMD A10-5750M (I already orderd one so i hope i havn't been misinformed else were)

- HP Memory Module: 1333MHz DDR3 PC3-10600 SDRAM SoDIMM 4GB - (X2)

- Optical bay: hard drive caddy for Hp Pavilion g6-2006ax - Install the factory HDD as 2nd (Media HDD)

Could you please let me know if you notice anything incompatible with these upgrades?

Thanks 

HP Recommended

The Manual says this is the top processor:

AMD® A10-4600M processor

So you are on your own with the A10-5750M. Not saying it wil NOT work, just that there is no real way to be sure it will. Let us know how it goes for future reference.

Otherwise it all looks good. Just bear in mind the optical drive caddy thing will connect the old hard drive at a slower transfer speed and it will not be bootable. You can use it for pure storage. It should be fast enough so that you can play videos from the files on the optical bay drive but if you are doing intense stuff like Photoshop or video editing and you need it to be fast, run it from the SSD. 

HP Recommended

Awsome, thankyou very much for your assistance :OpenSmile:

I will certantly update this when i get the new CPU installed to say how it went

HP Recommended

The AMD A10-5750M Processor works fine and the 5750M + 7670M dual graphics function as expected, it has made a very noticeable improvement to mid range gaming and performance in everyday use. I just had to install it and Windows took care of the drivers.

Thanks again for your help, now i can buy a SSD with confidence it'll work :generic: I also decided against the caddy thing now knowing that there will be a drop in speed and not bootable and figure i may as well just get a external enclosure for the HDD so that i still have the convenience of a ODD

P.s The reason i took so long to get back was because i had trouble finding my thermal paste and was reluctant to buy more knowing i had a almost full tube of AS5 somewhere (turned out to be in the beer fridge in the garage).

HP Recommended

I have another HP Pavilion 'series 6' laptop with a HDD that is connetor-compatible to my 250 TB SDD from Crucial.
- On that SSD I have a regular (licenced) + working WIN 10 system installed.
- Is it possible to use it as a system drive with a user drive on an external HDD?    

The advantage of this setting would be that I could copy my WIN 10 Pro system form a desktop PC WIN 10 Pro with all apps on it and to just copy that system on this SSD once in a while (I have all app licences for that copy) ...  Is there any chance of proceeding that way to have a running WIN 10 Pro system on this laptop?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.