Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I could never find specs on the M.2 socket, so I just gave it a try. It works at above SATA 3 specs as you can see so I was very happy. I see that the now available Maintanence and Service guide says: PCIe/SATA M2, see below.

Primary storage

Support for single PCIe / SATA M2 solid-state drive configuration as storage (scope M2 2260/2280 DS solid-state drive) in the following configurations:

This was not available at the time I did the drive replacement. So, it looks like it supports either. I don't think Samsung is still producing the XP941 since they came out with the SM951. And the XP941 I bought is now $210 more than I paid. I'm waiting for a 1TB PCIe M.2 SSD to become available.

HP Recommended

Lee Bos

Thanks for that.  If I buy one  I might join the queue for an affordable 1tb one myself.

HP Recommended

@LeeBos, forgive me if this is a silly question, but this is new territory for me. Do you happen to know if this 850 EVO M.2 (MZ-N5E500BW) would fit in the Spectre x360?

HP Recommended

Yes, it will fit. As will any 2280 sized M.2 SSD.

HP Recommended

Thanks for getting back to me! Wow, really? Would you recommend this model? And, at (more than) half of compared to the XP941 and the SM951, what's the difference/catch?

HP Recommended

Yes, it's a decent SSD especially for the price.

But don't expect it to perform as fast as the XP941 or SM951. The 850 EVO uses the SATA III interface which has a max speed of 6Gb/s.

The 850 EVO is rated 550/500 MBps Read/Write.

The XP941 and SM951 use the PCIe x4 4 lane interface which is faster, not sure of the max speed.

The XP941 is rated 1,170/930 MBps.

The SM951 is rated 2,150/1,500 MBps depending on which version you have NVMe or PCIe version 3. Most sellers don't specify but I suspect they are PCIe based on price The NVMe version is rated 2,260/1,600 MBps.

To give you an idea, I paid $439 for my XP941, it's now going for $630. The SM951 is $380. Prices are for 512GB from Newegg.com.

HP Recommended
Thanks so much for your detailed post, really appreciate it. The two you mention seem similar. Which one would you have bought given the choice today?
HP Recommended

Given the current prices probably the SM951. Although I read somewhere that the 4K block speed is slower than the XP941 it's price is better.

HP Recommended

The sm951 NVME is not compatible with the spectre is it? We need the ahci version right?

HP Recommended

There is no mention of NVMe in the service manual so I will assume it does not support it.

But that probably does not matter since I have not been able to find one for sale that specifies NVMe.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.