Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Unfortunately not until you try it. You can try searching around the internet for a firmware upgrade for your SSD. I traded the one I had for the one the customer had. They were the same size and I am pretty sure I will get his to work in another laptop. 

HP Recommended

true but if i find a firmware update, how can i install that when I cannot even see the drive to get windows installed?

HP Recommended

Something else I noticed while searching, Crucial lists their MX200 250GB SSD and Gaurenteed compatible even though it seems you had some issues with the series.  See link:  http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP---Compaq/envy-m6-1205dx

I wonder if this would be worth giving them a call as the Kingston one I have just will not work.

HP Recommended

The firmware update would obviously need to be done on another computer. Where did you buy the SSD? Kingston is also pretty good with customer service. Have you tried them?

HP Recommended
I bought the drive off a friend of mine. It was new in the package. He bought it for a build then decided not to use it. I will give the firmware update a shot if one exists and let you know.
HP Recommended

OK, so according to the firmware software there does not seem to be an update that applies to my drive.  I contacted Kingston tech support and they suggested I check with HP to see if there are any bios or sata updates for the laptop.  I checked and there seems to be a bios update to Version F.36 (I am currently on Ver F.34 Rev 3.7).  What I cannot figure out is how to update ther bios.  I downloaded the update for the bios listed under "Software and drivers" but the file doesnot seem to install anything even though it's an application.  Now I did backdate the machine to Windows 7 and the only operating system HP lists any updates for is Windows 8 so I am not sure that has anything to do with it.  There were also no updates listed for anything regarding SATA.

HP Recommended
Edgemaster 1 I really hope you post what you do even if you take it to a pro. I'm on the verge of replacing my 1tb HDD in a hp envy to a 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo for speed I heard that increasing 8gb ram to 16gb is not noticeable. Do you agree. You seem to be expert. Thanks
HP Recommended
Did you check all the connections you may need to clone the SSD again until it recognizes the drive. Like other guy said you may want to try on another laptop.
HP Recommended

Well the drive I know is good.  I've already tried it in another PC and it works fine so the issue is the laptop and not the drive.  As far as speed, you will notice a difference with upgrading the RAM especially if you game or run multiple applications at once regularly.  But I would say with the hard drive being the slowest componnent in any computer, bang for buck you will see more noticable speed increases in day to day useability upgrading to a SSD vs any other upgrade in my opinion.  I have an 840 EVO in my desktop PC and love it.  Thats why the fact that they put only a 5400 RPM drive in this laptop is killing me because otherwise it is pretty fast but after being used to a SSD I can feel the drive slowing me down.

HP Recommended

Huffer, I have now officially tried multiple different brand SSD's in this laptop.  NONE OF THEM WORK.  I get the same failure with any SSD drive.  Ones I have tried thus far...

The Kingston SSDnow V300 240GB I originally bought

Samsung 850EVO 250GB

Samsung 850PRO 250GB

Crucial BX100 250GB

Crucial MX200 500GB

OCZ Vertex 256GB

There has got to be something wrong with this machine.  Something in ther Bios has to not be set properly and since HP is a pain in the ass I can't change the setting that I need.  Is there anything I can do to get one of these SSD's working?????????

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.