Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I decided to buy a 14" stream and the Curry's rep said that I could upgrade the 32gig to 64gig (as they didn't have the 64 gig for sale). However, I can't find any eMMC cards anywhere.

Does anyone know how far the 14-z050sa can go up to in eMMC please, and where I can get replacements/upgrades from?

I have read that the eMMC may not have much of a shelf life with repeated "swap file" operations, so I'm a little concerned about the whole issue and I might even go as far as to send the unit back to Currys without even being opened if I can't find an answer on this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@msknight wrote:

I decided to buy a 14" stream and the Curry's rep said that I could upgrade the 32gig to 64gig (as they didn't have the 64 gig for sale). However, I can't find any eMMC cards anywhere.

Does anyone know how far the 14-z050sa can go up to in eMMC please, and where I can get replacements/upgrades from?

I have read that the eMMC may not have much of a shelf life with repeated "swap file" operations, so I'm a little concerned about the whole issue and I might even go as far as to send the unit back to Currys without even being opened if I can't find an answer on this.

Hi,

I have checked the manual: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04400176.pdf

and it looks like the eMMC module is soldered to the motherboard as it's not a spare part. Means you have to replace the whole motherboard to get more storage.

Asus ROG STRIX G16 Manjaro Xfce
HP Touchpad provided by HP
HP Microserver Gen8 10TB Debian Server

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@msknight wrote:

Hi,

I have checked the manual: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04400176.pdf

and it looks like the eMMC module is soldered to the motherboard as it's not a spare part. Means you have to replace the whole motherboard to get more storage.

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
HP Recommended

OK, so the Currys suport tech lied. What a surprise.

I have to admit that given the years of negative publicity that other manufacturers (who shall not be named) have taken over non-user replaceable components ... that HP wouldn't dare risk it, especially with the storage option.

Next thing, you're going to tell me that the battery isn't swappable either! That would be a consumer design disaster. It is bad enough having the ram soldered on.

So ... that's one unit that will be winging its way back to Currys unopened then! Ah well.

Many thanks for taking the time to respond. Much appreciated.

HP Recommended

@msknight wrote:

OK, so the Currys suport tech lied. What a surprise.

I have to admit that given the years of negative publicity that other manufacturers (who shall not be named) have taken over non-user replaceable components ... that HP wouldn't dare risk it, especially with the storage option.

Next thing, you're going to tell me that the battery isn't swappable either! That would be a consumer design disaster. It is bad enough having the ram soldered on.

So ... that's one unit that will be winging its way back to Currys unopened then! Ah well.

Many thanks for taking the time to respond. Much appreciated.

Currys=PC World!! Don't trust them!!

HP Recommended

I personally can confirm that the battery is unreplaceable too, ive had mine to pieces thinking that hardware components could be upgraded, but yes the battery is soldered.

The only possible option to upgrade that is possible is by putting a microSD card in the side and leave it in as semi permanent storage.

sorry to disappoint 🙂 i suffered the same disappointment too lol.

HP Recommended
788084-001(501)
Parts number for a 64gb emmc 2 gb ram chipset. Hope this helps guys
HP Recommended

That is a whole motherboard and would cost an arm and a leg. And why are we dredging up 18 month old posts and adding to them and moving them to the top of the queue? 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.