Question

Top Student
thomasterrible
Message 1 of 3 (1,564 Views)
Accepted Solution

The Pavilion g7-2240us 17.3" Laptop has 6Gig RAM. Can this be upgraded and if so what is the max?

In the product information from the seller it says that the max RAM for the HP Pavillion g7-2240us laptop is 6gigs.  Is this true or can it be upgraded (if not why?) and if so how much and what is the appropriate way to go and best bang for the buck?  

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 3 (1,555 Views)

Re: The Pavilion g7-2240us 17.3" Laptop has 6Gig RAM. Can this be upgraded and if so what is

Hi,

Your machine accepts 8GB of RAM, it has 2 slots that means each slot can have 4GB. Currently your machine has 6GB of RAM, its configuration must be 4GB+2GB. Max you can get: 4GB+4GB therefore if you wish you can throw away 2GB and buy 4GB (same specs with the other) for that slot. The following link shows your machine info for RAM:

http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/HP+-+Compaq-memory/Pavilion+G7/Pavilion+g7-2240us-upgrades.html

You can buy from them or use the info to buy elsewhere.

Regards.

ps I would not do that, you can't see any difference from 6GB to 8GB.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Top Student
thomasterrible
Message 3 of 3 (1,547 Views)

Re: The Pavilion g7-2240us 17.3" Laptop has 6Gig RAM. Can this be upgraded and if so what is

Thanks much.  The ad for this computer I just purchased for $350 plus tax with sales and rebates seemed like a good buy.

The information says that the memory can not be upgraded which I found hard to believe, I called the seller and they just repeated what they read.  So yes it does have the two slots with 4 and 2 gigs and I could not understand why it could not be upgraded.  Someone had thought it could be upgraded to  16 gigs that was purchaing one but I will take your  answer as the correct one, though I really don't understand how computers have limits to the amount of ram they can accept when they physically have the slots to accept them.  Feel free to enlighten me on that one if you have time.

I will take your word that the extra 2 gigs won't matter much unless I get in to a low ram situation and then I will swap the 2 gig for a 4 to see how it goes.

I had my old laptops battery go dead and the space bar had just come off and it was running like a pig anyway with the 500 Gig HDD almost full.  Did not think it was worth putting money in to and not having the money to buy an expensive laptop think this will be good to have for the money.  I have another question so I will make another post since I think that is the idea here.

Thanks again,

Tom 

I

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation